• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for jesus according to John

JLG

restricted access
John 1:42

[Andrew] brought
ἤγαγεν (Ēgagen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 71: A primary verb; properly, to lead; by implication, to bring, drive, go, pass, or induce.

him
αὐτὸν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

Jesus,
Ἰησοῦν (Iēsoun)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

[who]
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

looked at
ἐμβλέψας (emblepsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1689: From en and blepo; to look on, i.e. to observe fixedly, or to discern clearly.

him
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

[and] said,
εἶπεν (eipen)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

“You
Σὺ (Sy)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

are
εἶ (ei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

Simon
Σίμων (Simōn)
Strong's 4613: Simon. Of Hebrew origin; Simon, the name of nine Israelites.

son
υἱὸς (huios)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

• Son (huios) = noun = a son = indefinite article and noun

of John.
Ἰωάννου (Iōannou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2491: Of Hebrew origin; Joannes, the name of four Israelites.

You
σὺ (sy)

will be called
κληθήσῃ (klēthēsē)
Verb - Future Indicative Passive - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2564: (a) I call, summon, invite, (b) I call, name. Akin to the base of keleuo; to 'call'.

Cephas”
Κηφᾶς (Kēphas)
Strong's 2786: Of Chaldee origin; the Rock; Cephas, a surname of Peter.

(which
ὃ (ho)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

is translated as
ἑρμηνεύεται (hermēneuetai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2059: (a) I translate, explain, (b) I interpret the meaning of. From a presumed derivative of Hermes; to translate.

Peter).
Πέτρος (Petros)
Strong's 4074: Peter, a Greek name meaning rock. Apparently a primary word; a rock; as a name, Petrus, an apostle.

JLG

restricted access
John 1:43

The
Τῇ (Tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

next day
ἐπαύριον (epaurion)
Adverb
Strong's 1887: Tomorrow. From epi and aurion; occurring on the succeeding day, i.e. to-morrow.

• The next day (te epaurion) = definite article and noun!

[Jesus] decided
ἠθέλησεν (ēthelēsen)
Strong's 2309: To will, wish, desire, be willing, intend, design.

to set out
ἐξελθεῖν (exelthein)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 1831: To go out, come out. From ek and erchomai; to issue.

for
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

Galilee.
Γαλιλαίαν (Galilaian)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1056: Of Hebrew origin; Galiloea, a region of Palestine.

Finding
εὑρίσκει (heuriskei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

Philip,
Φίλιππον (Philippon)
Strong's 5376: From philos and hippos; fond of horses; Philippus, the name of four Israelites.

[He]
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

told
λέγει (legei)
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

him,
αὐτῷ (autō)

“Follow
Ἀκολούθει (Akolouthei)
Verb - Present Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 190: To accompany, attend, follow. Properly, to be in the same way with, i.e. To accompany.

Me.”
μοι (moi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

JLG

restricted access
John 1:44

Now
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

Philip
Φίλιππος (Philippos)
Strong's 5376: From philos and hippos; fond of horses; Philippus, the name of four Israelites.

was
ἦν (ēn)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

Bethsaida,
Βηθσαϊδά (Bēthsaida)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 966: Of Chaldee origin; fishing-house; Bethsaida, a place in Palestine.

the
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

[same] town
πόλεως (poleōs)
Strong's 4172: A city, the inhabitants of a city. Probably from the same as polemos, or perhaps from polus; a town.

• The (same) town (tes poleos)= definite article (genitive)

as Andrew
Ἀνδρέου (Andreou)
Strong's 406: From aner; manly; Andreas, an Israelite.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

Peter.
Πέτρου (Petrou)
Strong's 4074: Peter, a Greek name meaning rock. Apparently a primary word; a rock; as a name, Petrus, an apostle.

Remember:

• If you think like today’s people, you will never understand the Bible!
  • They used to write differently!
  • They used to speak differently!
  • They used to think differently!
  • They used to act differently!

JLG

restricted access
https://www.gotquestions.org/life-John-Apostle.html

The Apostle John is the author of five New Testament books: the gospel of John, the three short epistles that also bear his name (1, 2, and 3 John) and the book of Revelation. John was part of Jesus’ “inner circle” and, along with Peter and James, John was given the privilege of witnessing Jesus’ conversation with Moses and Elijah on the mount of the transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-9). His importance in the twelve grew as he matured, and after the crucifixion, he became a “pillar” in the Jerusalem church (Galatians 2:9), ministered with Peter (Acts 3:1, 4:13, 8:14), and finally was exiled to the island of Patmos by the Romans, where he received from God the majestic visions that comprise the book of Revelation.

Not to be confused with John the Baptist, the Apostle John is the brother of James, another of the twelve disciples of Jesus. Together, they were called by Jesus “Boanerges,” which means “sons of thunder,” and therein we find a key to John’s personality. Both brothers were characterized by zeal, passion and ambition. In his early days with Jesus, at times John acted rashly, recklessly, impetuously, and aggressively. We see him in Mark 9 forbidding a man to cast out demons in Jesus’ name because he was not part of the twelve (Mark 9:38-41). Jesus gently rebuked him, saying no one could cast out demons in Jesus’ name and then turn around and speak evil of Him. In Luke 9:51-54, we see the brothers wanting to call down fire from heaven to destroy the Samaritans who refused to welcome Jesus. Again, Jesus had to rebuke them for their intolerance and lack of genuine love for the lost. John’s zeal for Jesus was also influenced by his natural ambition, as seen in his request (through his mother) that he and his brother be seated on Jesus’ right and left hands in the kingdom, an incident that caused a temporary rift between the brothers and the other disciples (Matthew 20:20-24).

In spite of these youthful expressions of misdirected passion, John aged well. He began to understand the need for humility in those who desired to be great. John’s is the only gospel that records Jesus washing the disciples’ feet (John 13:4-16). Jesus’ simple act of servanthood must have impacted John greatly. By the time of the crucifixion, Jesus had enough confidence in the young man to turn the care of His mother over to him, a charge John took very seriously. From that day on, John cared for her as if she were his own mother (John 19:25-27). John’s rash request for special honor in the kingdom had given way to a compassion and humility that would characterize his ministry in his later life. Although he remained courageous and bold, his ambition was balanced by the humility he learned at Jesus’ feet. This willingness to serve others and suffer for the sake of the gospel must have enabled him to bear his final imprisonment on Patmos where, according to reliable historical sources, he lived in a cave, cut off from those he loved, and was treated with cruelty and reproach. In the opening of the book of Revelation, which he received from the Holy Spirit during this time, he referred to himself as ‘your brother and companion in the suffering and kingdom and patient endurance that are ours in Jesus” (Revelation 1:9). He had learned to look beyond his earthly sufferings to the heavenly glory that awaits all who patiently endure.

John was passionately devoted to the proclamation of truth. No one in Scripture, except the Lord Jesus, had more to say about the concept of truth. His joy was proclaiming the truth to others and then watching them walk in it (3 John 4). His strongest condemnation was for those who perverted the truth and led others astray, especially if they claimed to be believers (1 John 2:4). His passion for truth fueled his concern for the sheep who might be deceived by false teachers, and his warnings about them take up much of 1 John. He had no qualms about identifying as “false prophets” and “antichrists” those who tried to pervert the truth, even proclaiming them to be demonic in nature (1 John 2:18, 26, 3:7, 4:1-7).

At the same time, John is also called the “apostle of love.” In his own gospel, he refers to himself as “the one whom Jesus loved” (John 13:23, 20:2, 21:7, 21:20). He is depicted as the one leaning against Jesus’ breast at the last supper. His brief second epistle is filled with expressions of his deep love for those in his care. He addresses his first epistle to a group of believers “whom I love in the truth” and exhorts them to “love one another” by walking in obedience to Jesus’ commands (2 John 1:1, 5-6).

John’s life serves to remind us of several lessons which we can apply to our own lives. First, zeal for the truth must always be balanced by a love for people. Without it, zeal can turn to harshness and judgmentalism. Conversely, abundant love that lacks the ability to discern truth from error can become gushing sentimentality. As John learned as he matured, if we speak the truth in love, we, and those we touch, will “in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ” (Ephesians 4:15).

Second, confidence and boldness, untempered by compassion and grace, can quickly turn to pride and smugness. Confidence is a wonderful virtue, but without humility, it can become self-confidence, which can lead to boasting and an attitude of exclusiveness. When that happens, our witness of the grace of God is tainted, and others see in us exactly the kind of person they wish not to be. Like John, if we are to be effective witnesses for Christ, our demeanor should be one that reflects a passion for the truth, compassion for people, and a steadfast desire to serve and represent our Lord by reflecting His humility and grace.

JLG

restricted access
  • His importance in the twelve grew as he matured!
  • He ministered with Peter!
  • Finally he was exiled to the island of Patmos by the Romans, where he received from God the majestic visions that comprise the book of Revelation!
  • He is the brother of James, another of the twelve disciples of Jesus!
  • Together, they were called by Jesus “Boanerges,” which means “sons of thunder,” and therein we find a key to John’s personality!
  • Both brothers were characterized by zeal, passion and ambition!
  • In his early days with Jesus, at times John acted rashly, recklessly, impetuously, and aggressively!
  • In spite of these youthful expressions of misdirected passion, John aged well!
  • He began to understand the need for humility in those who desired to be great!
  • John’s is the only gospel that records Jesus washing the disciples’ feet:
  • John was passionately devoted to the proclamation of truth!
  • No one in Scripture, except the Lord Jesus, had more to say about the concept of truth!
  • At the same time, John is also called the “apostle of love”!
  • In his own gospel, he refers to himself as “the one whom Jesus loved”!

JLG

restricted access

Remember:

• John and his brother James were characterized by zeal, passion and ambition!
  • In his early days with Jesus, at times John acted rashly, recklessly, impetuously, and aggressively!
  • In spite of these youthful expressions of misdirected passion, John aged well!
  • He began to understand the need for humility in those who desired to be great!
  • John’s is the only gospel that records Jesus washing the disciples’ feet!
  • No one in Scripture, except Jesus, had more to say about the concept of truth!

JLG

restricted access
John 1:45

Philip
Φίλιππος (Philippos)

found
Εὑρίσκει (Heuriskei)
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

Nathanael
Ναθαναὴλ (Nathanaēl)
Strong's 3482: Of Hebrew origin; Nathanael, an Israelite and Christian.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

told
λέγει (legei)
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

him,
αὐτῷ (autō)

“We have found
εὑρήκαμεν (heurēkamen)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Plural

the [One]
Ὃν (Hon)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular

Moses
Μωϋσῆς (Mōusēs)
Strong's 3475: Or Moses, or Mouses of Hebrew origin; Moseus, Moses, or Mouses, the Hebrew lawgiver.

wrote about
ἔγραψεν (egrapsen)
Strong's 1125: A primary verb; to 'grave', especially to write; figuratively, to describe.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

the
τῷ (tō)
Article - Dative Masculine Singular

Law,
νόμῳ (nomō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3551: From a primary nemo; law, genitive case, specially, (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively.

• In the Law (en to nomo) = preposition and definite article and noun (dative)
  • 16 (preposition and noun) / 8 (preposition and definite article and noun)

[ the One]
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

the
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

prophets [foretold]—
προφῆται (prophētai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

• The prophets (hoi prophetai) ) definite article and noun!

Jesus
Ἰησοῦν (Iēsoun)

of
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

Nazareth,
Ναζαρέτ (Nazaret)
Strong's 3478: Or Nazaret nad-zar-et'; of uncertain derivation; Nazareth or Nazaret, a place in Palestine.

[the] son
υἱὸν (huion)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

of Joseph.�
Ἰωσὴφ (Iōsēph)
Strong's 2501: Joseph, a proper name. Of Hebrew origin; Joseph, the name of seven Israelites.

• (the) son of Joseph (huion Ioseph) = noun and noun (genitive)

JLG

restricted access

Remember:

• No one in Scripture, except Jesus, had more to say about the concept of truth!

JLG

restricted access
John 1:46: nothing to analyze!

John 1:47

[When] Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

saw
Εἶδεν (Eiden)
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

Nathanael
Ναθαναὴλ (Nathanaēl)

approaching,
ἐρχόμενον (erchomenon)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

He said
λέγει (legei)

of
περὶ (peri)
Preposition
Strong's 4012: From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. Around; figuratively with respect to; used in various applications, of place, cause or time.

him,
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

“Here
Ἴδε (Ide)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2400: See! Lo! Behold! Look! Second person singular imperative middle voice of eido; used as imperative lo!

[is] a true
ἀληθῶς (alēthōs)
Adverb
Strong's 230: Truly, really, certainly, surely. Adverb from alethes; truly.

Israelite,
Ἰσραηλίτης (Israēlitēs)
Strong's 2475: An Israelite, one of the chosen people of Israel, a Jew. From Israel; an 'Israelite', i.e. Descendant of Israel.

• A true Israelite (alethos Israelites) = adverb and noun = indefinite article and adverb and noun!

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

whom
ᾧ (hō)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Dative Masculine Singular

there is
ἔστιν (estin)

no
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

deceit.”
δόλος (dolos)
Strong's 1388: Deceit, guile, treachery. From an obsolete primary verb, dello; a trick, i.e. wile.

JLG

restricted access

Remember:

JLG

restricted access
John 1:48

“How
Πόθεν (Pothen)
Adverb
Strong's 4159: From the base of posis with enclitic adverb of origin; from which or what place, state, source or cause.

do You know
γινώσκεις (ginōskeis)
Strong's 1097: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to 'know' in a great variety of applications and with many implications.

me?”
με (me)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

Nathanael
Ναθαναήλ (Nathanaēl)

asked.
Λέγει (Legei)

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

replied,
Ἀπεκρίθη (Apekrithē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

“Before
Πρὸ (Pro)
Preposition
Strong's 4253: A primary preposition; 'fore', i.e. In front of, prior to.

Philip
Φίλιππον (Philippon)

called
φωνῆσαι (phōnēsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 5455: From phone; to emit a sound; by implication, to address in words or by name, also in imitation.

you,
σε (se)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Singular

I saw
εἶδόν (eidon)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

you
σε (se)

under
ὑπὸ (hypo)
Preposition
Strong's 5259: A primary preposition; under, i.e. of place, or with verbs; of place (underneath) or where (below) or time (when).

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

fig tree.”
συκῆν (sykēn)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4808: A fig-tree. From sukon; a fig-tree.

• Under the fig tree (hypo ten syken )= preposition and definite article and noun!
  • 16 (preposition and noun) / 9 (preposition and definite article and noun)

JLG

restricted access

Remember:

JLG

restricted access
John 1:49

“Rabbi,”
Ῥαββί (Rhabbi)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4461: Of Hebrew origin; my master, i.e Rabbi, as an official title of honor.

Nathanael
Ναθαναήλ (Nathanaēl)

answered,
Ἀπεκρίθη (Apekrithē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

“You
σὺ (sy)

are
εἶ (ei)

the
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular

Son
Υἱὸς (Huios)

of God!
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

• The Son of God (ho huios theou) = definite article and noun and noun (genitive)

You
σὺ (sy)

are
εἶ (ei)

the King
Βασιλεὺς (Basileus)
Strong's 935: A king, ruler, but in some passages clearly to be translated: emperor. Probably from basis; a sovereign.

of Israel!”
Ἰσραήλ (Israēl)
Strong's 2474: Of Hebrew origin; Israel, the adopted name of Jacob, including his descendants.

• The King of Israel (Basileus Israel) = noun and noun (genitive)

JLG

restricted access

Remember:

JLG

restricted access
John 1:50

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

said
εἶπεν (eipen)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

to him,
αὐτῷ (autō)

“Do you believe
πιστεύεις (pisteueis)
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

just because
Ὅτι (Hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

I told
εἶπόν (eipon)

you
σοι (soi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Singular

I saw
εἶδόν (eidon)

you
σε (se)

under
ὑποκάτω (hypokatō)
Preposition
Strong's 5270: Underneath, below, under. From hupo and kato; down under, i.e. Beneath.

the
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

fig tree?
συκῆς (sykēs)
Strong's 4808: A fig-tree. From sukon; a fig-tree.

• Under the fig tree (hypotako tes sykes) = preposition and definite article and noun
  • 16 (preposition and noun) / 10 (preposition and definite article and noun)

You will see
ὄψῃ (opsē)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 2nd Person Singular

greater things
μείζω (meizō)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural - Comparative
Strong's 3173: Large, great, in the widest sense.

than these.”
τούτων (toutōn)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Neuter Plural
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

JLG

restricted access

Remember:

Remember:

Biblical Hebrew has a very small number of words, about 8,000, and around 1,700 of those words are hapax legomena (being said once) in the Hebrew Bible. Modern Hebrew has about 100,000 words. For comparison modern English has over 450,000 words, and Spanish has just over 175,000 words. Standard English dictionaries typically have about 200,000 words, whereas Spanish dictionaries have about 80,000 words.

This means words often have multiple meanings determined by context.

Although yom is commonly rendered as day in English translations, the word yom can be used in different ways to refer to different time spans:

• Point of time (a specific day)
  • time period of a whole or half a day:
    • Period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness),
    • Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset
  • General term for time ( as in 'days of our lives')
  • A year "lived a lot of days"
  • Time period of unspecified length. "days and days"

The Greek language is ranked as the richest in the world with 5 million words and 70 million word types. According to Dr. MacDonald, only 600,000 Greek words are used today, making the Greek vocabulary the largest in the world and 3.5 times bigger than the English vocabulary.

Though there are 138,607 words in the Greek New Testament, only 5,394 are unique.

JLG

restricted access
John 1:51

Then
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

He declared,
λέγει (legei)

“Truly,
Ἀμὴν (Amēn)
Hebrew Word
Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.

truly,
ἀμὴν (amēn)
Hebrew Word
Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.

I tell
λέγω (legō)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

you,
ὑμῖν (hymin)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Plural

you will see
ὄψεσθε (opsesthe)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 2nd Person Plural

heaven
οὐρανὸν (ouranon)
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

• Heaven (ouranon) = noun (accusative) = can mean happiness, power, eternity

open
ἀνεῳγότα (aneōgota)
Verb - Perfect Participle Active - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 455: To open. From ana and oigo; to open up.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

the
τοὺς (tous)
Article - Accusative Masculine Plural

angels
ἀγγέλους (angelous)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

of God
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

• The angels of God (tous angelous theou) definite article and noun (accusative masculine plural) and noun (genitive)

ascending
ἀναβαίνοντας (anabainontas)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 305: To go up, mount, ascend; of things: I rise, spring up, come up. From ana and the base of basis; to go up.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

descending
καταβαίνοντας (katabainontas)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2597: To go down, come down, either from the sky or from higher land, descend. From kata and the base of basis; to descend.

on
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

Son
Υἱὸν (Huion)

of Man.”
ἀνθρώπου (anthrōpou)
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

• On the Son of Man (epi ton Huion anthropou) = preposition and definite article and noun (accusative) and noun (genitive)

JLG

restricted access

EXODUS 3:15

YAH.WEH THE GOD OF YOUR FATHERS – THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB – HAS SENT ME TO YOU.
THIS IS MY NAME FOREVER, AND THIS IS HOW I AM TO BE REMEMBERED IN EVERY GENERATION IN EVERY GENERATION.

Jesus had siblings :

- Guess what: the Bible is the history of the Israelites!
- Each page tells you that!
- Each story tells you that!
- Each family tells you that!
- The book of Adam's story tells you that!

Remember:

Remember:

Biblical Hebrew has a very small number of words, about 8,000, and around 1,700 of those words are hapax legomena (being said once) in the Hebrew Bible. Modern Hebrew has about 100,000 words. For comparison modern English has over 450,000 words, and Spanish has just over 175,000 words. Standard English dictionaries typically have about 200,000 words, whereas Spanish dictionaries have about 80,000 words.

Although yom is commonly rendered as day in English translations, the word yom can be used in different ways to refer to different time spans:

• Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset

The Greek language is ranked as the richest in the world with 5 million words and 70 million word types. According to Dr. MacDonald, only 600,000 Greek words are used today, making the Greek vocabulary the largest in the world and 3.5 times bigger than the English vocabulary.

Though there are 138,607 words in the Greek New Testament, only 5,394 are unique.

JLG

restricted access
John 2:1

On the
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

third
τρίτῃ (tritē)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5154: Third. Ordinal from treis; third; neuter a third part, or a third time, thirdly.

day
ἡμέρᾳ (hēmera)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

• On the third day (te trite hemera) = preposition and definite article and adjective and noun (dative)

a wedding
γάμος (gamos)
Strong's 1062: A marriage, wedding, wedding-ceremony; plur: a wedding-feast. Of uncertain affinity; nuptials.

• A wedding (gamos) = noun = indefinite article and noun

took place
ἐγένετο (egeneto)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

at
ἐν (en)
Preposition

Cana
Κανὰ (Kana)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2580: Cana, a town in Galilee. Of Hebrew origin; Cana, a place in Palestine.

in Galilee.
Γαλιλαίας (Galilaias)
Strong's 1056: Of Hebrew origin; Galiloea, a region of Palestine.

Jesus’
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)

mother
μήτηρ (mētēr)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3384: A mother. Apparently a primary word; a 'mother'.

was
ἦν (ēn)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

there,
ἐκεῖ (ekei)
Adverb
Strong's 1563: (a) there, yonder, in that place, (b) thither, there. Of uncertain affinity; there; by extension, thither.

JLG

restricted access

EXODUS 3:15

YAH.WEH THE GOD OF YOUR FATHERS – THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB – HAS SENT ME TO YOU.
THIS IS MY NAME FOREVER, AND THIS IS HOW I AM TO BE REMEMBERED IN EVERY GENERATION IN EVERY GENERATION.

Jesus had siblings :

- Guess what: the Bible is the history of the Israelites!
- Each page tells you that!
- Each story tells you that!
- Each family tells you that!
- The book of Adam's story tells you that!

Remember:

Remember:

• Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset