• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for jesus according to John

JLG

restricted access
John 1:19

• Nothing to analyze!

John 1:20

He did not refuse to confess,
ὡμολόγησεν (hōmologēsen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3670: From a compound of the base of homou and logos; to assent, i.e. Covenant, acknowledge.

but
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

openly declared,
ὡμολόγησεν (hōmologēsen)
Strong's 3670: From a compound of the base of homou and logos; to assent, i.e. Covenant, acknowledge.

“I
Ἐγὼ (Egō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

am
εἰμὶ (eimi)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

the
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

Christ.”
Χριστός (Christos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5547: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.

• As usual, the Christ (ho Christos) = definite article and noun

JLG

restricted access
John 1:21

“Then
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction
Strong's 3767: Therefore, then. Apparently a primary word; certainly, or accordingly.

who [are you]?”
Τί (Ti)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

they inquired.
ἠρώτησαν (ērōtēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2065: Apparently from ereo; to interrogate; by implication, to request.

“Are
εἶ (ei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

you
σὺ (sy)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

Elijah?”
Ἠλίας (Ēlias)
Strong's 2243: Elijah, the prophet. Of Hebrew origin; Helias, an Israelite.

• Elijah (Elias) = proper noun

He said,
λέγει (legei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

“I am
εἰμί (eimi)

not.”
Οὐκ (Ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

“Are
εἶ (ei)

you
σύ (sy)

the
Ὁ (Ho)
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

Prophet?”
προφήτης (prophētēs)
Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

• The Prophet (ho prophetes) = definite article and noun

He answered,
ἀπεκρίθη (apekrithē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

“No.”
Οὔ (Ou)
Adverb

JLG

restricted access
John 1:22

So
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction
Strong's 3767: Therefore, then. Apparently a primary word; certainly, or accordingly.

they said
Εἶπαν (Eipan)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

to him,
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

“Who
Τίς (Tis)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

are you?
εἶ (ei)

We need
δῶμεν (dōmen)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1325: To offer, give; I put, place. A prolonged form of a primary verb; to give.

an answer
ἀπόκρισιν (apokrisin)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 612: An answer, reply. From apokrinomai; a response.

• An answer (apokrisin) = noun = indefinite article and noun

for those
τοῖς (tois)
Article - Dative Masculine Plural

who sent
πέμψασιν (pempsasin)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3992: To send, transmit, permit to go, put forth.

us.
ἡμᾶς (hēmas)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

What
τί (ti)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular

do you say
λέγεις (legeis)
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

about
περὶ (peri)
Preposition
Strong's 4012: From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. Around; figuratively with respect to; used in various applications, of place, cause or time.

yourself?”
σεαυτοῦ (seautou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4572: Of yourself.

JLG

restricted access
John 1:23

[John] replied
Ἔφη (Ephē)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 5346: To say, declare. Properly, the same as the base of phos and phaino; to show or make known one's thoughts, i.e. Speak or say.

in
καθὼς (kathōs)
Adverb
Strong's 2531: According to the manner in which, in the degree that, just as, as. From kata and hos; just as, that.

the words of
εἶπεν (eipen)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

Isaiah
Ἠσαΐας (Ēsaias)
Strong's 2268: Isaiah, the prophet. Of Hebrew origin; Hesaias, an Israelite.

the
ὁ (ho)

prophet:
προφήτης (prophētēs)
Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

• The prophet (ho prophetes) = definite article and noun

“I [am]
Ἐγὼ (Egō)

the voice
φωνὴ (phōnē)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5456: Probably akin to phaino through the idea of disclosure; a tone; by implication, an address, saying or language.

of one calling
βοῶντος (boōntos)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 994: To shout, call aloud, proclaim. Apparently a prolonged form of a primary verb; to halloo, i.e. Shout.

• The voice of one calling ( phone boontos) = noun and genitive masculine singular = different case = not in the study

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

the
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

wilderness,
ἐρήμῳ (erēmō)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2048: Lonesome, i.e. waste.

• In the wilderness (en te eremo) = preposition and definite article and noun
  • 12 (preposition and noun) / 6 (preposition and definite article and noun)

‘Make straight
Εὐθύνατε (Euthynate)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 2116: From euthus; to straighten; technically, to steer.

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

way
ὁδὸν (hodon)
Strong's 3598: A way, road, journey, path. Apparently a primary word; a road; by implication, a progress; figuratively, a mode or means.

for [the] Lord.’”
Κυρίου (Kyriou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

• The way for (the) Lord (ten hodon kyriou) = definite article and noun and genitive = not in the study

JLG

restricted access
John 1:24: nothing to analyze!

John 1:25

asked
ἠρώτησαν (ērōtēsan)
Strong's 2065: Apparently from ereo; to interrogate; by implication, to request.

him,
αὐτὸν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

“Why
Τί (Ti)

then
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction

do you baptize,
βαπτίζεις (baptizeis)
Strong's 907: Lit: I dip, submerge, but specifically of ceremonial dipping; I baptize.

if
εἰ (ei)
Conjunction
Strong's 1487: If. A primary particle of conditionality; if, whether, that, etc.

you
σὺ (sy)

are
εἶ (ei)

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb

the
ὁ (ho)

Christ,
Χριστὸς (Christos)
Strong's 5547: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.

• The Christ (ho Christos) = definite article and noun

nor
οὐδὲ (oude)
Conjunction
Strong's 3761: Neither, nor, not even, and not. From ou and de; not however, i.e. Neither, nor, not even.

Elijah,
Ἠλίας (Ēlias)
Strong's 2243: Elijah, the prophet. Of Hebrew origin; Helias, an Israelite.

• Elijah (Elias) = proper noun

nor
οὐδὲ (oude)
Conjunction
Strong's 3761: Neither, nor, not even, and not. From ou and de; not however, i.e. Neither, nor, not even.

the
ὁ (ho)

Prophet?”
προφήτης (prophētēs)

• The Prophet (ho prophetes) = definite article and noun

JLG

restricted access
John 1:26

“I
Ἐγὼ (Egō)

baptize
βαπτίζω (baptizō)
Strong's 907: Lit: I dip, submerge, but specifically of ceremonial dipping; I baptize.

with
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

water,”
ὕδατι (hydati)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5204: Water. And genitive case, hudatos, etc. From the base of huetos; water literally or figuratively.

• With water (en hydati) = preposition and noun
  • 13 (preposition and noun) / 6 (preposition and definite article and noun)

John
Ἰωάννης (Iōannēs)
Strong's 2491: Of Hebrew origin; Joannes, the name of four Israelites.

replied,
Ἀπεκρίθη (Apekrithē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

“but among
μέσος (mesos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3319: Middle, in the middle, between, in the midst of. From meta; middle (neuter) noun).

you
ὑμῶν (hymōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Plural

stands
ἕστηκεν (hestēken)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2476: A prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o; to stand, used in various applications.

[One]
ὃν (hon)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

you
ὑμεῖς (hymeis)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Plural

{do} not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb

know.
οἴδατε (oidate)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 1492: To know, remember, appreciate.

JLG

restricted access
John 1:27: nothing to analyze!

John 1:28

All this
Ταῦτα (Tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

happened
ἐγένετο (egeneto)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

at
ἐν (en)
Preposition

Bethany
Βηθανίᾳ (Bēthania)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 963: Of Chaldee origin; date-house; Beth-any, a place in Palestine.

• At Bethany (en Bethania) = preposition and proper noun
  • 14 (preposition and noun) / 6 (preposition and definite article and noun)

beyond
πέραν (peran)
Preposition
Strong's 4008: Over, on the other side, beyond. Apparently accusative case of an obsolete derivative of peiro; through, i.e. Across.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

Jordan,
Ἰορδάνου (Iordanou)
Strong's 2446: Of Hebrew origin; the Jordanes, a river of Palestine.

• Beyond the Jordan (peran tou Iordanou) = preposition and definite article and proper noun
  • 14 (preposition and noun) / 7 (preposition and definite article and noun)

where
ὅπου (hopou)
Adverb
Strong's 3699: Where, whither, in what place. From hos and pou; what(-ever) where, i.e. At whichever spot.

John
Ἰωάννης (Iōannēs)

was
ἦν (ēn)

baptizing.
βαπτίζων (baptizōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular

JLG

restricted access
John 1:29

The
Τῇ (Tē)

next day
ἐπαύριον (epaurion)
Adverb
Strong's 1887: Tomorrow. From epi and aurion; occurring on the succeeding day, i.e. to-morrow.

• The next day (te epaurion) = definite article and adverb

[John] saw
βλέπει (blepei)
Strong's 991: (primarily physical), I look, see, perceive, discern. A primary verb; to look at.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦν (Iēsoun)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

coming
ἐρχόμενον (erchomenon)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

toward
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

him
αὐτόν (auton)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

said,
λέγει (legei)

“Look,
Ἴδε (Ide)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2400: See! Lo! Behold! Look! Second person singular imperative middle voice of eido; used as imperative lo!

the
ὁ (ho)

Lamb
Ἀμνὸς (Amnos)
Strong's 286: A lamb (as a type of innocence, and with sacrificial connotation). Apparently a primary word; a lamb.

of God,
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

• The Lamb of God (ho Amnos theou) = definite article and noun and genitive!

who
ὁ (ho)

takes away
αἴρων (airōn)
Strong's 142: To raise, lift up, take away, remove.

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

sin
ἁμαρτίαν (hamartian)
Strong's 266: From hamartano; a sin.

of the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

world!
κόσμου (kosmou)
Strong's 2889: Probably from the base of komizo; orderly arrangement, i.e. Decoration; by implication, the world (morally).

• The sin of the world (ten hamartian tou kosmou) = definite article( accusative) and noun (accusative) and definite article (genitive) and noun (genitive)

JLG

restricted access
John 1:30

This is
ἐστιν (estin)

He
οὗτός (houtos)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular

of
ὑπὲρ (hyper)
Preposition
Strong's 5228: Gen: in behalf of; acc: above.

whom
οὗ (hou)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Genitive Masculine Singular

I
ἐγὼ (egō)

said,
εἶπον (eipon)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

‘A man
ἀνὴρ (anēr)
Strong's 435: A male human being; a man, husband. A primary word; a man.

• A man (aner) = noun = indefinite article and noun!

who comes
ἔρχεται (erchetai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular

after
Ὀπίσω (Opisō)
Preposition
Strong's 3694: Behind, after; back, backwards. From the same as opisthen with enclitic of direction; to the back, i.e. Aback.

me
μου (mou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Singular

has
γέγονεν (gegonen)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

surpassed
ἔμπροσθέν (emprosthen)
Preposition
Strong's 1715: From en and pros; in front of (literally or figuratively) or time).

me
μου (mou)

because
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

He was
ἦν (ēn)

before
πρῶτός (prōtos)
Strong's 4413: First, before, principal, most important. Contracted superlative of pro; foremost.

me.’
μου (mou)

JLG

restricted access
John 1:31

I myself
κἀγὼ (kagō)
Strong's 2504: To also, I too, but I. From kai and ego; so also the dative case kamoi, and accusative case kame and I, me.

{did} not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb

know
ᾔδειν (ēdein)
Verb - Pluperfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

Him,
αὐτόν (auton)

but
ἀλλ’ (all’)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

the reason
διὰ (dia)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

I
ἐγὼ (egō)

came
ἦλθον (ēlthon)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

baptizing
βαπτίζων (baptizōn)

with
ἐν (en)
Preposition

water
ὕδατι (hydati)
Strong's 5204: Water. And genitive case, hudatos, etc. From the base of huetos; water literally or figuratively.
  • With water (en hydati) = preposition and noun!
  • 15 (preposition and noun) / 7 (preposition and definite article and noun)

[was] that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

He might be revealed
φανερωθῇ (phanerōthē)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 5319: To make clear (visible, manifest), make known. From phaneros; to render apparent.

to Israel.”
Ἰσραὴλ (Israēl)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2474: Of Hebrew origin; Israel, the adopted name of Jacob, including his descendants.

JLG

restricted access
John 1:32

Then
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

John
Ἰωάννης (Iōannēs)

testified,
ἐμαρτύρησεν (emartyrēsen)
Strong's 3140: To witness, bear witness, give evidence, testify, give a good report. From martus; to be a witness, i.e. Testify.

“I saw
Τεθέαμαι (Tetheamai)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 2300: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to look closely at, i.e. perceive; by extension to visit.

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

Spirit
Πνεῦμα (Pneuma)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 4151: Wind, breath, spirit.

• The Spirit (to Pneuma) = definite article and noun

descending
καταβαῖνον (katabainon)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 2597: To go down, come down, either from the sky or from higher land, descend. From kata and the base of basis; to descend.

from
ἐξ (ex)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

heaven
οὐρανοῦ (ouranou)
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

ὡς (hōs)
Adverb
Strong's 5613: Probably adverb of comparative from hos; which how, i.e. In that manner.

a dove
περιστερὰν (peristeran)
Strong's 4058: A dove, pigeon. Of uncertain derivation; a pigeon.

• A dove (peristeran) = noun = indefinite article and noun

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

resting
ἔμεινεν (emeinen)
Strong's 3306: To remain, abide, stay, wait; with acc: I wait for, await. A primary verb; to stay.

on
ἐπ’ (ep’)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

Him.
αὐτόν (auton)

JLG

restricted access
John 1:33

I myself
κἀγὼ (kagō)
Strong's 2504: To also, I too, but I. From kai and ego; so also the dative case kamoi, and accusative case kame and I, me.

{did} not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb

know
ᾔδειν (ēdein)
Verb - Pluperfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

Him,
αὐτόν (auton)

but
ἀλλ’ (all’)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

the [One who]
ὁ (ho)

sent
πέμψας (pempsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3992: To send, transmit, permit to go, put forth.

me
με (me)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 1st Person Singular

to baptize
βαπτίζειν (baptizein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active

with
ἐν (en)
Preposition

water
ὕδατι (hydati)

• With water (en hydati) = preposition and noun
  • 16 (preposition and noun) / 7 (preposition and definite article and noun)

told
εἶπεν (eipen)

me,
μοι (moi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 1st Person Singular

‘[The man] on
Ἐφ’ (Eph’)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

whom
ὃν (hon)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular

you see
ἴδῃς (idēs)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

Spirit
Πνεῦμα (Pneuma)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular

• The Spirit (to Pneuma) = definite article and noun!

descend
καταβαῖνον (katabainon)
Strong's 2597: To go down, come down, either from the sky or from higher land, descend. From kata and the base of basis; to descend.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

rest
μένον (menon)
Strong's 3306: To remain, abide, stay, wait; with acc: I wait for, await. A primary verb; to stay.

is
ἐστιν (estin)

He
ὁ (ho)

who will baptize
βαπτίζων (baptizōn)

with
ἐν (en)
Preposition

[the] Holy
Ἁγίῳ (Hagiō)
Adjective - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 40: Set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred. From hagos; sacred.

Spirit.�
Πνεύματι (Pneumati)

• With Holy Spirit (en hagio Pneumati) = preposition and adjective and noun

JLG

restricted access
John 1:34

I
κἀγὼ (kagō)

have seen
ἑώρακα (heōraka)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

testified
μεμαρτύρηκα (memartyrēka)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 3140: To witness, bear witness, give evidence, testify, give a good report. From martus; to be a witness, i.e. Testify.

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

this
οὗτός (houtos)

is
ἐστιν (estin)

the
ὁ (ho)

Son
Υἱὸς (Huios)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

• The Son (ho Huios) = definite article and noun

of God.”
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

• Of God (Theou) = genitive

JLG

restricted access
John 1:35

The
Τῇ (Tē)

next day
ἐπαύριον (epaurion)
Adverb
Strong's 1887: Tomorrow. From epi and aurion; occurring on the succeeding day, i.e. to-morrow.

• The next day (teepaurion) = definite article and noun

John
Ἰωάννης (Iōannēs)

was there
εἱστήκει (heistēkei)
Verb - Pluperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2476: A prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o; to stand, used in various applications.

again
πάλιν (palin)
Adverb
Strong's 3825: Probably from the same as pale; anew, i.e. back, once more, or furthermore or on the other hand.

with
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

two
δύο (dyo)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1417: Two. A primary numeral; 'two'.

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

his
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

disciples.
μαθητῶν (mathētōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3101: A learner, disciple, pupil. From manthano; a learner, i.e. Pupil.

JLG

restricted access
John 1:36

When
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

he saw
ἐμβλέψας (emblepsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1689: From en and blepo; to look on, i.e. to observe fixedly, or to discern clearly.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

walking by,
περιπατοῦντι (peripatounti)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4043: From peri and pateo; to tread all around, i.e. Walk at large; figuratively, to live, deport oneself, follow.

he said,
λέγει (legei)

“Look,
Ἴδε (Ide)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2400: See! Lo! Behold! Look! Second person singular imperative middle voice of eido; used as imperative lo!

the
ὁ (ho)

Lamb
Ἀμνὸς (Amnos)
Strong's 286: A lamb (as a type of innocence, and with sacrificial connotation). Apparently a primary word; a lamb.

• The Lamb (ho Amnos) = definite article and noun

of God!”
Θεοῦ (Theou)

• Of God (Theou) = Genitive

JLG

restricted access
John 1:37

And when
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

the
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

two
δύο (dyo)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural

disciples
μαθηταὶ (mathētai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3101: A learner, disciple, pupil. From manthano; a learner, i.e. Pupil.

• The two disciples (hoi dyo matherai) = definite article and adjective and noun!

heard
ἤκουσαν (ēkousan)
Strong's 191: To hear, listen, comprehend by hearing; pass: is heard, reported. A primary verb; to hear.

him
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

say this,
λαλοῦντος (lalountos)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2980: A prolonged form of an otherwise obsolete verb; to talk, i.e. Utter words.

they followed
ἠκολούθησαν (ēkolouthēsan)
Strong's 190: To accompany, attend, follow. Properly, to be in the same way with, i.e. To accompany.

Jesus.
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)

JLG

restricted access
John 1:38

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

turned
Στραφεὶς (Strapheis)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4762: Strengthened from the base of trope; to twist, i.e. Turn quite around or reverse.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

saw
θεασάμενος (theasamenos)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2300: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to look closely at, i.e. perceive; by extension to visit.

them
αὐτοὺς (autous)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

following.
ἀκολουθοῦντας (akolouthountas)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 190: To accompany, attend, follow. Properly, to be in the same way with, i.e. To accompany.

“What
Τί (Ti)

do you want?”
ζητεῖτε (zēteite)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 2212: To seek, search for, desire, require, demand. Of uncertain affinity; to seek; specially, to worship, or to plot.

He asked.
λέγει (legei)

They said
εἶπαν (eipan)

to Him,
αὐτῷ (autō)

“Rabbi”
Ῥαββί (Rhabbi)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4461: Of Hebrew origin; my master, i.e Rabbi, as an official title of honor.

(which
ὃ (ho)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular

means
μεθερμηνευόμενον (methermēneuomenon)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3177: To translate (from one language into another), interpret. From meta and hermeneuo; to explain over, i.e. Translate.

Teacher),
Διδάσκαλε (Didaskale)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1320: A teacher, master. From didasko; an instructor.

• Teacher (Didaskale) = noun = a teacher = indefinite article and noun (official title)!

“where
Ποῦ (Pou)
Adverb
Strong's 4226: Genitive case of an interrogative pronoun pos otherwise obsolete; as adverb of place; at what locality.

are You staying?”
μένεις (meneis)

JLG

restricted access
John 1:39

“Come
Ἔρχεσθε (Erchesthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Middle or Passive - 2nd Person Plural

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

see,”
ὄψεσθε (opsesthe)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 2nd Person Plural

He replied.
Λέγει (Legei)

So
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction

they went
ἦλθαν (ēlthan)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

saw
εἶδαν (eidan)

where
ποῦ (pou)
Adverb
Strong's 4225: Genitive case of an indefinite pronoun pos otherwise obsolete; as adverb of place, somewhere, i.e. Nearly.

He was staying,
μένει (menei)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

spent
ἔμειναν (emeinan)

that
ἐκείνην (ekeinēn)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1565: That, that one there, yonder. From ekei; that one (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed.

day
ἡμέραν (hēmeran)
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

with
παρ’ (par’)
Preposition
Strong's 3844: Gen: from; dat: beside, in the presence of; acc: alongside of.

Him.
αὐτῷ (autō)

It was
ἦν (ēn)

about
ὡς (hōs)
Adverb
Strong's 5613: Probably adverb of comparative from hos; which how, i.e. In that manner.

[the] tenth
δεκάτη (dekatē)
Adjective - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1182: Tenth. Ordinal from deka; tenth.

hour.
ὥρα (hōra)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5610: Apparently a primary word; an 'hour'.

• (the) tenth hour (dekate hora) = adjective and noun

JLG

restricted access
John 1:40

Andrew,
Ἀνδρέας (Andreas)
Strong's 406: From aner; manly; Andreas, an Israelite.

Simon
Σίμωνος (Simōnos)
Strong's 4613: Simon. Of Hebrew origin; Simon, the name of nine Israelites.

Peter’s
Πέτρου (Petrou)
Strong's 4074: Peter, a Greek name meaning rock. Apparently a primary word; a rock; as a name, Petrus, an apostle.

brother,
ἀδελφὸς (adelphos)
Strong's 80: A brother, member of the same religious community, especially a fellow-Christian. A brother near or remote.

was
Ἦν (Ēn)

one
εἷς (heis)
Strong's 1520: One. (including the neuter Hen); a primary numeral; one.

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

two
δύο (dyo)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural

• Of the two (ek ton dyo) = preposition and definite article and adjective

who
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

heard
ἀκουσάντων (akousantōn)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 191: To hear, listen, comprehend by hearing; pass: is heard, reported. A primary verb; to hear.

John’s [ testimony ]
Ἰωάννου (Iōannou)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

followed
ἀκολουθησάντων (akolouthēsantōn)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Plural

[Jesus].
αὐτῷ (autō)

JLG

restricted access
John 1:41

He
οὗτος (houtos)

first
πρῶτον (prōton)
Adverb - Superlative
Strong's 4412: First, in the first place, before, formerly. Neuter of protos as adverb; firstly.

found
εὑρίσκει (heuriskei)
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

[his]
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

brother
ἀδελφὸν (adelphon)
Strong's 80: A brother, member of the same religious community, especially a fellow-Christian. A brother near or remote.

Simon
Σίμωνα (Simōna)
Strong's 4613: Simon. Of Hebrew origin; Simon, the name of nine Israelites.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

told
λέγει (legei)

him,
αὐτῷ (autō)

“We have found
Εὑρήκαμεν (Heurēkamen)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Plural
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

Messiah”
Μεσσίαν (Messian)
Strong's 3323: Messiah, the Anointed One. Of Hebrew origin; the Messias, or Christ.

(which
ὅ (ho)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular

is
ἐστιν (estin)

translated as
μεθερμηνευόμενον (methermēneuomenon)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3177: To translate (from one language into another), interpret. From meta and hermeneuo; to explain over, i.e. Translate.

Christ).
Χριστός (Christos)

• The Messiah (ton Messian) = definite article and noun!