• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for jesus according to John

John 2:19: nothing to analyze!

John 2:20

“This
οὗτος (houtos)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

temple {took}
ναὸς (naos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3485: A temple, a shrine, that part of the temple where God himself resides. From a primary naio; a fane, shrine, temple.

forty-six
Τεσσεράκοντα (Tesserakonta)
Adjective - Dative Neuter Plural
Strong's 5062: Forty. The decade of tessares; forty.

years
ἔτεσιν (etesin)
Noun - Dative Neuter Plural
Strong's 2094: A year. Apparently a primary word; a year.

to build,”
οἰκοδομήθη (oikodomēthē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3618: From the same as oikodome; to be a house-builder, i.e. Construct or confirm.

the
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

Jews
Ἰουδαῖοι (Ioudaioi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2453: Jewish. From Iouda; Judaean, i.e. Belonging to Jehudah.

• The Jews (hoi Ioudaioi) = definite article and noun (nominative plural)

replied,
Εἶπαν (Eipan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

“and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

You
σὺ (sy)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

are going to raise it up
ἐγερεῖς (egereis)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1453: (a) I wake, arouse, (b) I raise up. Probably akin to the base of agora; to waken, i.e. Rouse.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

three
τρισὶν (trisin)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 5140: Three. Or neuter tria a primary number; 'three'.

days?”
ἡμέραις (hēmerais)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

John 2:21

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

[Jesus]
Ἐκεῖνος (Ekeinos)
Strong's 1565: That, that one there, yonder. From ekei; that one (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed.

was speaking
ἔλεγεν (elegen)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

about
περὶ (peri)
Preposition
Strong's 4012: From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. Around; figuratively with respect to; used in various applications, of place, cause or time.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

temple
ναοῦ (naou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 3485: A temple, a shrine, that part of the temple where God himself resides. From a primary naio; a fane, shrine, temple.

• The temple (tou temple) = definite article and noun!

[of] His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

body.
σώματος (sōmatos)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 4983: Body, flesh; the body of the Church. From sozo; the body, used in a very wide application, literally or figuratively.

John 2:22

After
ὅτε (hote)
Adverb
Strong's 3753: When, at which time. From hos and te; at which too, i.e. When.

He was raised
ἠγέρθη (ēgerthē)
Strong's 1453: (a) I wake, arouse, (b) I raise up. Probably akin to the base of agora; to waken, i.e. Rouse.

from
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

[the] dead,
νεκρῶν (nekrōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3498: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse. From an apparently primary nekus; dead.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

disciples
μαθηταὶ (mathētai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3101: A learner, disciple, pupil. From manthano; a learner, i.e. Pupil.

remembered
ἐμνήσθησαν (emnēsthēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 3403: To remember, call to mind, recall, mention. A prolonged form of mnaomai; to remind, i.e. to recall to mind.

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

He had said
ἔλεγεν (elegen)

this.
τοῦτο (touto)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular

Then
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they believed
ἐπίστευσαν (episteusan)
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

the
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

Scripture
γραφῇ (graphē)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1124: (a) a writing, (b) a passage of scripture; plur: the scriptures. A document, i.e. Holy Writ.

• The Scripture (te graphe) = definite article and noun!

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

the
τῷ (tō)
Article - Dative Masculine Singular

word
λόγῳ (logō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3056: From lego; something said; by implication, a topic, also reasoning or motive; by extension, a computation; specially, the Divine Expression.

• The word (to logo) = definite article and noun!

that
ὃν (hon)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

had spoken.
εἶπεν (eipen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

John 2:23

While
Ὡς (Hōs)
Adverb
Strong's 5613: Probably adverb of comparative from hos; which how, i.e. In that manner.

He was
ἦν (ēn)
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

Jerusalem
Ἱεροσολύμοις (Hierosolymois)
Noun - Dative Neuter Plural
Strong's 2414: The Greek form of the Hebrew name: Jerusalem. Of Hebrew origin; Hierosolyma

at
ἐν (en)
Preposition

the
τῷ (tō)
Article - Dative Neuter Singular

Passover
πάσχα (pascha)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3957: The feast of Passover, the Passover lamb. Of Chaldee origin; the Passover.

• At the passover (en to pascha) = preposition and definite article and noun!

Feast,
ἑορτῇ (heortē)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1859: A festival, feast, periodically recurring. Of uncertain affinity; a festival.

many people
πολλοὶ (polloi)
Strong's 4183: Much, many; often.

saw
θεωροῦντες (theōrountes)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2334: From a derivative of theaomai; to be a spectator of, i.e. Discern, (experience) or intensively (acknowledge).

[the]
αὐτοῦ (autou)

signs
σημεῖα (sēmeia)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4592: Neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of semaino; an indication, especially ceremonially or supernaturally.

He was doing
ἐποίει (epoiei)
Strong's 4160: (a) I make, manufacture, construct, (b) I do, act, cause. Apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do.

[and] believed
ἐπίστευσαν (episteusan)
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

in
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

name.
ὄνομα (onoma)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.

John 2:24: nothing to analyze

John 2:25

He {did}
εἶχεν (eichen)
Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

not
οὐ (ou)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

need
χρείαν (chreian)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5532: From the base of chraomai or chre; employment, i.e. An affair; also occasion, demand, requirement or destitution.

any
τις (tis)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5100: Any one, some one, a certain one or thing. An enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object.

testimony
μαρτυρήσῃ (martyrēsē)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3140: To witness, bear witness, give evidence, testify, give a good report. From martus; to be a witness, i.e. Testify.

about
περὶ (peri)
Preposition
Strong's 4012: From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. Around; figuratively with respect to; used in various applications, of place, cause or time.

man,
ἀνθρώπου (anthrōpou)
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

• About man (peri anthropou) = preposition and uncountable noun!

for
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction
Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.

He
αὐτὸς (autos)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

knew
ἐγίνωσκεν (eginōsken)
Strong's 1097: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to 'know' in a great variety of applications and with many implications.

what
τί (ti)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

was
ἦν (ēn)
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

[a] man.

• In man (en anthropo) = preposition and uncountable noun!

ἀνθρώπῳ (anthrōpō)
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

John 3:1​

Now
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

there was
Ἦν (Ēn)

a man
ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos)

• A man (anthropos) = noun = indefinite article and noun!

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

Pharisees
Φαρισαίων (Pharisaiōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 5330: Of Hebrew origin; a separatist, i.e. Exclusively religious; a Pharisean, i.e. Jewish sectary.

• Of the Pharisees (ek ton Pharisaion) = preposition and definite article and noun!

named
ὄνομα (onoma)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.

Nicodemus,
Νικόδημος (Nikodēmos)
Strong's 3530: Nicodemus, a member of the Sanhedrin. From nikos and demos; victorious among his people; Nicodemus, an Israelite.

a leader
ἄρχων (archōn)
Strong's 758: Present participle of archo; a first.

• A leader (archon) = noun = indefinite article and noun!

of the
τῶν (tōn)

Jews.
Ἰουδαίων (Ioudaiōn)

• Of the Jews (ton Ioudaion) = definite article and noun!

John 3:2​

He
οὗτος (houtos)

came
ἦλθεν (ēlthen)
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

[Jesus]
αὐτὸν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

at night
νυκτὸς (nyktos)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 3571: The night, night-time. A primary word; 'night'.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

said,
εἶπεν (eipen)

“Rabbi,
Ῥαββί (Rhabbi)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4461: Of Hebrew origin; my master, i.e Rabbi, as an official title of honor.

we know
οἴδαμεν (oidamen)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1492: To know, remember, appreciate.

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

[You are] a teacher
διδάσκαλος (didaskalos)
Strong's 1320: A teacher, master. From didasko; an instructor.

• A teacher (didaskalos) = noun = indefinite article and noun!

who has come
ἐλήλυθας (elēlythas)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

God.
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

For
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction

no one
οὐδεὶς (oudeis)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3762: No one, none, nothing.

could
δύναται (dynatai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1410: (a) I am powerful, have (the) power, (b) I am able, I can. Of uncertain affinity; to be able or possible.

perform
ποιεῖν (poiein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active
Strong's 4160: (a) I make, manufacture, construct, (b) I do, act, cause. Apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do.

[the]
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural

signs
σημεῖα (sēmeia)
Strong's 4592: Neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of semaino; an indication, especially ceremonially or supernaturally.

You
σὺ (sy)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Singular

are doing
ποιεῖς (poieis)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular

if
ἐὰν (ean)
Conjunction
Strong's 1437: If. From ei and an; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.

God
Θεὸς (Theos)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

were
ᾖ (ē)
Verb - Present Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular

not
μὴ (mē)
Adverb
Strong's 3361: Not, lest. A primary particle of qualified negation; not, lest; also (whereas ou expects an affirmative one) whether.

with
μετ’ (met’)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

him.�
αὐτοῦ (autou)

John 3:3

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

replied,
Ἀπεκρίθη (Apekrithē)
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

“Truly,
Ἀμὴν (Amēn)
Hebrew Word
Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.

truly,
ἀμὴν (amēn)
Hebrew Word
Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.

I tell
λέγω (legō)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

you,
σοι (soi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Singular

no
οὐ (ou)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

one
τις (tis)
Strong's 5100: Any one, some one, a certain one or thing. An enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object.

can
δύναται (dynatai)
Strong's 1410: (a) I am powerful, have (the) power, (b) I am able, I can. Of uncertain affinity; to be able or possible.

see
ἰδεῖν (idein)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

kingdom
βασιλείαν (basileian)
Strong's 932: From basileus; properly, royalty, i.e. rule, or a realm.

• The kingdom (ten basileian) = definite article and noun!

of God
Θεοῦ (Theou)

unless
ἐὰν (ean)
Conjunction
Strong's 1437: If. From ei and an; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.

he is born
γεννηθῇ (gennēthē)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1080: From a variation of genos; to procreate; figuratively, to regenerate.

again.”
ἄνωθεν (anōthen)
Adverb
Strong's 509: From ano; from above; by analogy, from the first; by implication, anew.

John 3:4

“How
Πῶς (Pōs)
Adverb
Strong's 4459: Adverb from the base of pou; an interrogative particle of manner; in what way?; also as exclamation, how much!

can
δύναται (dynatai)

a man
ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos)

• A man (anthropos) = noun = indefinite article and noun!

be born
γεννηθῆναι (gennēthēnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Passive
Strong's 1080: From a variation of genos; to procreate; figuratively, to regenerate.

when he is
ὤν (ōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular

old?”
γέρων (gerōn)
Strong's 1088: An old man. Of uncertain affinity; aged.

Nicodemus
Νικόδημος (Nikodēmos)
Strong's 3530: Nicodemus, a member of the Sanhedrin. From nikos and demos; victorious among his people; Nicodemus, an Israelite.

asked.
Λέγει (Legei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

“Can he
δύναται (dynatai)

enter
εἰσελθεῖν (eiselthein)
Strong's 1525: To go in, come in, enter. From eis and erchomai; to enter.

his
αὐτοῦ (autou)

mother’s
μητρὸς (mētros)
Strong's 3384: A mother. Apparently a primary word; a 'mother'.

womb
κοιλίαν (koilian)
Strong's 2836: From koilos; a cavity, i.e. the abdomen; by implication, the matrix; figuratively, the heart.

a second time
δεύτερον (deuteron)
Adverb
Strong's 1208: Second; with the article: in the second place, for the second time. As the compare of duo; second.

to be born?”
γεννηθῆναι (gennēthēnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Passive

John 3:5​

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

answered,,
Ἀπεκρίθη (Apekrithē)
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

“Truly,
Ἀμὴν (Amēn)
Hebrew Word

truly,
ἀμὴν (amēn)
Hebrew Word

I tell
λέγω (legō)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

you,
σοι (soi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Singular

no
οὐ (ou)
Adverb

one
τις (tis)

can
δύναται (dynatai)

enter
εἰσελθεῖν (eiselthein)
Strong's 1525: To go in, come in, enter. From eis and erchomai; to enter.

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

kingdom
βασιλείαν (basileian)
Strong's 932: From basileus; properly, royalty, i.e. rule, or a realm.

• The kingdom ten basileian) = definite article and noun!

of God
Θεοῦ (Theou)

unless
ἐὰν (ean)
Conjunction

he is born
γεννηθῇ (gennēthē)

of
ἐξ (ex)
Preposition

water
ὕδατος (hydatos)
Strong's 5204: Water. And genitive case, hudatos, etc. From the base of huetos; water literally or figuratively.

• Water (hydatos) = uncountable noun!

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

[the] Spirit.
Πνεύματος (Pneumatos)
Strong's 4151: Wind, breath, spirit.

• Spirit (pneumatos) = uncountable noun!

John 3:6​

Flesh
σάρξ (sarx)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4561: Flesh, body, human nature, materiality; kindred.

• Flesh (sarx) = uncountable noun!

is
ἐστιν (estin)

born
γεγεννημένον (gegennēmenon)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Neuter Singular

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition

flesh,
σαρκὸς (sarkos)
Strong's 4561: Flesh, body, human nature, materiality; kindred.

• Flesh (sarkos) = uncountable noun!

[but]
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

spirit
πνεῦμά (pneuma)

• Spirit (pneuma) = uncountable noun!

is
ἐστιν (estin)

born
γεγεννημένον (gegennēmenon)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Neuter Singular

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

Spirit.
Πνεύματος (Pneumatos)

• Of the Spirit (ek tou Pneumatos) = preposition and definite article and noun!

John 3:7: nothing to analyze!​

John 3:8

The
τὸ (to)
Article - Nominative Neuter Singular

wind
πνεῦμα (pneuma)

• The wind (to pneuma) = definite article and noun!

blows
πνεῖ (pnei)
Strong's 4154: To blow, breathe, as the wind. A primary word; to breathe hard, i.e. Breeze.

where
ὅπου (hopou)
Adverb
Strong's 3699: Where, whither, in what place. From hos and pou; what(-ever) where, i.e. At whichever spot.

it wishes.
θέλει (thelei)
Strong's 2309: To will, wish, desire, be willing, intend, design.

You hear
ἀκούεις (akoueis)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 191: To hear, listen, comprehend by hearing; pass: is heard, reported. A primary verb; to hear.

its
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Neuter 3rd Person Singular

sound,
φωνὴν (phōnēn)
Strong's 5456: Probably akin to phaino through the idea of disclosure; a tone; by implication, an address, saying or language.

but
ἀλλ’ (all’)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

you do not know
οἶδας (oidas)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1492: To know, remember, appreciate.

where
πόθεν (pothen)
Adverb
Strong's 4159: From the base of posis with enclitic adverb of origin; from which or what place, state, source or cause.

it comes {from}
ἔρχεται (erchetai)

[or]
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

where
ποῦ (pou)
Adverb
Strong's 4226: Genitive case of an interrogative pronoun pos otherwise obsolete; as adverb of place; at what locality.

it is going.
ὑπάγει (hypagei)
Strong's 5217: To go away, depart, begone, die. From hupo and ago; to lead under, i.e. Withdraw or retire, literally or figuratively.

So
οὕτως (houtōs)
Adverb
Strong's 3779: Thus, so, in this manner. Or (referring to what precedes or follows).

it is
ἐστὶν (estin)

with everyone
πᾶς (pas)
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

born
γεγεννημένος (gegennēmenos)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

Spirit.�
Πνεύματος (Pneumatos)

• Of the Spirit (ek you Pneumatos) = preposition and definite article and noun!

John 3:9-12: nothing to analyze!​

John 3:13

No one
οὐδεὶς (oudeis)
Strong's 3762: No one, none, nothing.

has ascended
ἀναβέβηκεν (anabebēken)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 305: To go up, mount, ascend; of things: I rise, spring up, come up. From ana and the base of basis; to go up.

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

heaven
οὐρανὸν (ouranon)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

• Into heaven (eis ouranon) = preposition and uncountable noun!

except
εἰ (ei)
Conjunction
Strong's 1487: If. A primary particle of conditionality; if, whether, that, etc.

the [One who]
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular

descended
καταβάς (katabas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2597: To go down, come down, either from the sky or from higher land, descend. From kata and the base of basis; to descend.

from
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition

heaven—
οὐρανοῦ (ouranou)
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

• From heaven (ek ouranou) = preposition and uncountable noun!

the
ὁ (ho)

Son
Υἱὸς (Huios)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

• The Son (ho Huios) = definite article and noun!

of Man.
ἀνθρώπου (anthrōpou)

John 3:14​

Just​

καὶ (kai)​

Conjunction​

Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.​

as​

καθὼς (kathōs)​

Adverb​

Strong's 2531: According to the manner in which, in the degree that, just as, as. From kata and hos; just as, that.​

Moses​

Μωϋσῆς (Mōusēs)​

Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular​

Strong's 3475: Or Moses, or Mouses of Hebrew origin; Moseus, Moses, or Mouses, the Hebrew lawgiver.​

lifted up​

ὕψωσεν (hypsōsen)​

Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 5312: (a) I raise on high, lift up, (b) I exalt, set on high. From hupsos; to elevate.​

the​

τὸν (ton)​

Article - Accusative Masculine Singular​

Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.​

snake​

ὄφιν (ophin)​

Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular​

Strong's 3789: Probably from optanomai; a snake, figuratively, an artful malicious person, especially Satan.​

• The snake (ton ophin) = definite article and noun!​

in​

ἐν (en)​

Preposition​

Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.​

the​

τῇ (tē)​

Article - Dative Feminine Singular​

Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.​

wilderness,​

ἐρήμῳ (erēmō)​

Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular​

Strong's 2048: Lonesome, i.e. waste.​

• In the wilderness (en te eremo) = preposition and definite article and noun!​

so​

οὕτως (houtōs)​

Adverb​

Strong's 3779: Thus, so, in this manner. Or (referring to what precedes or follows).​

the​

τὸν (ton)​

Son​

Υἱὸν (Huion)​

Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.​

• The Son (ton Huion) = definite article and noun!​

of Man​

ἀνθρώπου (anthrōpou)​

Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular​

Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.​

must​

δεῖ (dei)​

Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.​

be lifted up,​

ὑψωθῆναι (hypsōthēnai)​

Verb - Aorist Infinitive Passive​

Strong's 5312: (a) I raise on high, lift up, (b) I exalt, set on high. From hupsos; to elevate.​

John 3:15: nothing to analyze​

John 3:16

For
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction

God
Θεὸς (Theos)

• God (Theos)

so
Οὕτως (Houtōs)
Adverb
Strong's 3779: Thus, so, in this manner. Or (referring to what precedes or follows).

loved
ἠγάπησεν (ēgapēsen)
Strong's 25: To love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem. Perhaps from agan; to love.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

world
κόσμον (kosmon)
Strong's 2889: Probably from the base of komizo; orderly arrangement, i.e. Decoration; by implication, the world (morally).

• The world (ton kosmon) = definite article and noun!

that
ὥστε (hōste)
Conjunction
Strong's 5620: So that, therefore, so then, so as to. From hos and te; so too, i.e. Thus therefore.

He gave
ἔδωκεν (edōken)
Strong's 1325: To offer, give; I put, place. A prolonged form of a primary verb; to give.

[His]
τὸν (ton)

one and only
μονογενῆ (monogenē)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3439: Only, only-begotten; unique. From monos and ginomai; only-born, i.e. Sole.

Son,
Υἱὸν (Huion)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

everyone
πᾶς (pas)
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

who
ὁ (ho)

believes
πιστεύων (pisteuōn)

in
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

Him
αὐτὸν (auton)

shall not perish
ἀπόληται (apolētai)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 622: From apo and the base of olethros; to destroy fully, literally or figuratively.

but
ἀλλ’ (all’)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

have
ἔχῃ (echē)
Verb - Present Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

eternal
αἰώνιον (aiōnion)
Adjective - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 166: From aion; perpetual.

life.
ζωὴν (zōēn)
Strong's 2222: Life, both of physical (present) and of spiritual (particularly future) existence. From zao; life.

John 3:17​

For​

γὰρ (gar)​

Conjunction​

Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.​

God​

• God (Theos)

Θεὸς (Theos)​

Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.​

{did} not​

οὐ (ou)​

Adverb​

Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.​

send​

ἀπέστειλεν (apesteilen)​

Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 649: From apo and stello; set apart, i.e. to send out literally or figuratively.​

His Son​

Υἱὸν (Huion)​

Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.​

into​

εἰς (eis)​

Preposition​

Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.​

the​

τὸν (ton)​

world​

κόσμον (kosmon)​

Strong's 2889: Probably from the base of komizo; orderly arrangement, i.e. Decoration; by implication, the world (morally).​

• Into the world (eis ton kosmon) = preposition and definite article and noun!​

to​

ἵνα (hina)​

Conjunction​

Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.​

condemn​

κρίνῃ (krinē)​

Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 2919: Properly, to distinguish, i.e. Decide; by implication, to try, condemn, punish.​

the​

τὸν (ton)​

world,​

κόσμον (kosmon)​

Strong's 2889: Probably from the base of komizo; orderly arrangement, i.e. Decoration; by implication, the world (morally).​

• The world (ton kosmon) = definite article and noun!​

but​

ἀλλ’ (all’)​

Conjunction​

Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.​

to​

ἵνα (hina)​

Conjunction​

Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.​

save​

σωθῇ (sōthē)​

Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Passive - 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 4982: To save, heal, preserve, rescue. From a primary sos; to save, i.e. Deliver or protect.​

the​

ὁ (ho)​

Article - Nominative Masculine Singular​

world​

κόσμος (kosmos)​

• The world (ho kosmos) = definite article and noun!​

through​

δι’ (di’)​

Preposition​

Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.​

Him.​

αὐτοῦ (autou)​

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.​

John 3:18​

Whoever​

ὁ (ho)​

believes​

πιστεύων (pisteuōn)​

Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular​

Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.​

in​

εἰς (eis)​

Preposition​

Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.​

Him​

αὐτὸν (auton)​

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.​

is not condemned,​

κρίνεται (krinetai)​

Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular​

Strong's 2919: Properly, to distinguish, i.e. Decide; by implication, to try, condemn, punish.​

but​

δὲ (de)​

Conjunction​

Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.​

whoever​

ὁ (ho)​

does not believe​

πιστεύων (pisteuōn)​

Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular​

Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.​

has already been condemned,​

κέκριται (kekritai)​

Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular​

because​

ὅτι (hoti)​

Conjunction​

Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.​

he has not believed​

πεπίστευκεν (pepisteuken)​

Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular​

in​

εἰς (eis)​

Preposition​

the​

τὸ (to)​

Article - Accusative Neuter Singular​

name​

ὄνομα (onoma)​

Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular​

Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.​

• In the name ( eis to onoma) = preposition and definite article and noun!​

of God’s​

Θεοῦ (Theou)​

Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.​

one and only​

μονογενοῦς (monogenous)​

Adjective - Genitive Masculine Singular​

Strong's 3439: Only, only-begotten; unique. From monos and ginomai; only-born, i.e. Sole.​

Son.​

Υἱοῦ (Huiou)​

John 3:19

And
δέ (de)
Conjunction

this
Αὕτη (Hautē)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Feminine Singular

is
ἐστιν (estin)

the
ἡ (hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular

verdict:
κρίσις (krisis)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2920: Decision; by extension, a tribunal; by implication, justice.

• The verdict (he krisis) = definite article and noun!

The
τὸ (to)
Article - Nominative Neuter Singular

Light
φῶς (phōs)
Strong's 5457: Light, a source of light, radiance. From an obsolete phao; luminousness.

• The Light (definite article and noun)!

has come
ἐλήλυθεν (elēlythen)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

the
τὸν (ton)

world,
κόσμον (kosmon)
Strong's 2889: Probably from the base of komizo; orderly arrangement, i.e. Decoration; by implication, the world (morally).

• Into the world (eis ton kosmon)!

but
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

men
ἄνθρωποι (anthrōpoi)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural

loved
ἠγάπησαν (ēgapēsan)
Strong's 25: To love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem. Perhaps from agan; to love.

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

darkness
σκότος (skotos)
Strong's 4655: Darkness, either physical or moral. From the base of skia; shadiness, i.e. Obscurity.

• The darkness (to skotos) = definite article and noun!

rather
μᾶλλον (mallon)
Adverb
Strong's 3123: More, rather. Neuter of the comparative of the same as malista; more) or rather.

than
ἢ (ē)
Conjunction
Strong's 2228: Or, than. A primary particle of distinction between two connected terms; disjunctive, or; comparative, than.

the
τὸ (to)

Light,
φῶς (phōs)
Strong's 5457: Light, a source of light, radiance. From an obsolete phao; luminousness.

• The Light (to phos) = definite article and noun!

because
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction

their
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural

deeds
ἔργα (erga)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 2041: From a primary ergo; toil; by implication, an act.

were
ἦν (ēn)

evil.
πονηρὰ (ponēra)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4190: Evil, bad, wicked, malicious, slothful.

John 3:20

Everyone
πᾶς (pas)

who
ὁ (ho)

does
πράσσων (prassōn)
Strong's 4238: To do, perform, accomplish; be in any condition, i.e. I fare; I exact, require.

evil
φαῦλα (phaula)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 5337: Worthless, wicked, base. Apparently a primary word; 'foul' or 'flawy', i.e. wicked.

hates
μισεῖ (misei)
Strong's 3404: To hate, detest, love less, esteem less. From a primary misos; to detest; by extension, to love less.

the
τὸ (to)

Light,
φῶς (phōs)

• The Light (to phos) = definite article and noun!

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

{does} not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb

come
ἔρχεται (erchetai)

into
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

the
τὸ (to)

Light
φῶς (phōs)

• Into the Light (pros to phos) = preposition and definite article and noun!

for fear that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

his
αὐτοῦ (autou)

deeds
ἔργα (erga)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 2041: From a primary ergo; toil; by implication, an act.

will be exposed.
ἐλεγχθῇ (elenchthē)
Strong's 1651: (a) I reprove, rebuke, discipline, (b) I expose, show to be guilty. Of uncertain affinity; to confute, admonish.

CONCLUSION

________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.poesialatina.it/_ns/Greek/html/Interpunzione-en.html

ANCIENT GREEKS DID NOT USE TO INDICATE PUNCTUATION IN THEIR TEXTS, APART FROM VERY EXCEPTIONAL CASES; NOR DID THEY USE TO SEPARATE WORDS WITH SPACES, AS WE DO.

________________________________________________________________________________

John 1:1

- « In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God / a god »

- The Word (ho Logos) (Nominative Masculine Singular) = definite articule and noun = countable noun = form used three times in the verse !

- With God (pros Theon) (Accusative Masculine Singular) = preposition and noun !

- God /a god ? (Theos) (Nominative Masculine Singular)

- If God = uncountable noun !

- If a god = countable noun !

- LOGICALLY, IF YOU ARE WITH GOD, YOU CAN’T BE GOD !

- BUT YOU CAN BE A GOD OR OF DIVINE ORIGIN !

John 1:2

- « He was with God in the beginning »

- With God (pros Theon) (Accusative Masculine Singular) = preposition and noun !

John 1:18

- « No one has ever seen God the one and only Son God / the only-begotten god the (one who) is at the Father’s side has made known »

- The one and only Son God / the only-begotten god (monogenes Theos)

- Monogenes (Adjective – Nominative Masculine Singular)

-Theos (Noun – Nominative Masculine Singular) = a deity, especially the supreme Divinity ; figuratively, a magistrate

- He is at the Father’s side (Patros kolpon) !

- like in John 1:1, he is with God!

Kolpos

kol'-pos

Noun Masculine

1. the front of the body between the arms
  2. the bosom of a garment, i.e. the hollow formed by the upper forepart of a rather loose garment bound by a girdle or sash, used for keeping and carrying things (the fold or pocket)
  3. a bay of the sea

John 3:16

- The one and only Son (ton monogene Huion)

John 3:18

- God’s one and only Son (Theou monogenous Huiou)

John 5:18

Because of
Διὰ (Dia)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

this,
τοῦτο (touto)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular

the
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

Jews
Ἰουδαῖοι (Ioudaioi)

tried
ἐζήτουν (ezētoun)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2212: To seek, search for, desire, require, demand. Of uncertain affinity; to seek; specially, to worship, or to plot.

all the harder
μᾶλλον (mallon)
Adverb
Strong's 3123: More, rather. Neuter of the comparative of the same as malista; more) or rather.

to kill
ἀποκτεῖναι (apokteinai)
Strong's 615: To put to death, kill; fig: I abolish. From apo and kteino; to kill outright; figuratively, to destroy.

Him.
αὐτὸν (auton)

Not
οὐ (ou)
Adverb

only
μόνον (monon)
Adverb
Strong's 3440: Alone, but, only. Neuter of monos as adverb; merely.

was He breaking
ἔλυεν (elyen)
Strong's 3089: A primary verb; to 'loosen'.

the
τὸ (to)

Sabbath,
σάββατον (sabbaton)
Strong's 4521: The Sabbath, a week.

but
ἀλλὰ (alla)
Conjunction

He was even calling
ἔλεγεν (elegen)

God
Θεόν (Theon)

His own
ἴδιον (idion)
Strong's 2398: Pertaining to self, i.e. One's own; by implication, private or separate.

Father,
Πατέρα (Patera)
Strong's 3962: Father, (Heavenly) Father, ancestor, elder, senior. Apparently a primary word; a 'father'.

making
ποιῶν (poiōn)

Himself
ἑαυτὸν (heauton)
Reflexive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1438: Himself, herself, itself.

equal
ἴσον (ison)
Strong's 2470: Equal, equivalent, identical. Probably from eido; similar.

with
τῷ (tō)
Article - Dative Masculine Singular

God.
Θεῷ (Theō)

- He was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God !

Acts 28:6

- « He was a god (about Paul)

he
αὐτὸν (auton)

was
εἶναι (einai)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active

a god.
θεόν (theon)

2 Corinthians 4:4

- « The god of this age /world » (the devil)

The
ὁ (ho)

god
θεὸς (theos)

of this
τούτου (toutou)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Masculine Singular

Strong's 165: From the same as aei; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity; by implication, the world; specially a Messianic period.

has blinded
ἐτύφλωσεν (etyphlōsen)
Strong's 5186: To make blind, physically or mentally. From tuphlos; to make blind, i.e. to obscure.

the
τὰ (ta)
Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

minds
νοήματα (noēmata)
Strong's 3540: From noieo; a perception, i.e. Purpose, or the intellect, disposition, itself.

of
τῶν (tōn)

unbelievers
ἀπίστων (apistōn)
Strong's 571: (passively) untrustworthy (person), or incredible (thing).

Back