• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for Paul

Luke 24:10

It was
ἦσαν (ēsan)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

Mary
Μαρία (Maria)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3137: Or Mariam of Hebrew origin; Maria or Mariam, the name of six Christian females.

Magdalene,
Μαγδαληνὴ (Magdalēnē)
Strong's 3094: Magdalene, a woman of Magdala. Feminine of a derivative of Magdala; a female Magdalene, i.e. Inhabitant of Magdala.

Joanna,
Ἰωάννα (Iōanna)
Strong's 2489: (Hebrew), Joanna, Johanna, wife of Chuza, Herod's steward. Feminine of the same as Ioannes; Joanna, a Christian.

Mary
Μαρία (Maria)
Strong's 3137: Or Mariam of Hebrew origin; Maria or Mariam, the name of six Christian females.

the [mother]
ἡ (hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

of James,
Ἰακώβου (Iakōbou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2385: The same as Iakob Graecized; Jacobus, the name of three Israelites.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

the
αἱ (hai)
Article - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

other women
λοιπαὶ (loipai)
Adjective - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 3062: Left, left behind, the remainder, the rest, the others. Masculine plural of a derivative of leipo; remaining ones.

with
σὺν (syn)
Preposition
Strong's 4862: With. A primary preposition denoting union; with or together.

them
αὐταῖς (autais)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

[who] told
ἔλεγον (elegon)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

[this]
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

the
τοὺς (tous)
Article - Accusative Masculine Plural

apostles.
ἀποστόλους (apostolous)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 652: From apostello; a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ.

Jesus, deceased, was among the dead. He spoke again with the disciples for 40 days after he was no longer deceased / no longer among the dead.

Luke 24:11

But
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

their
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Plural

words
ῥήματα (rhēmata)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4487: From rheo; an utterance, ; by implication, a matter or topic; with a negative naught whatever.

seemed
ἐφάνησαν (ephanēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 5316: Prolongation for the base of phos; to lighten, i.e. Show.

ὡσεὶ (hōsei)
Adverb
Strong's 5616: As if, as it were, like; with numbers: about. From hos and ei; as if.

nonsense
λῆρος (lēros)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3026: Folly, nonsense, idle talk. Apparently a primary word; twaddle, i.e. An incredible story.

to
ἐνώπιον (enōpion)
Preposition
Strong's 1799: Neuter of a compound of en and a derivative of optanomai; in the face of.

them,
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they did not believe
ἠπίστουν (ēpistoun)
Strong's 569: To be unfaithful, disbelieve, refuse belief, prove false. From apistos; to be unbelieving, i.e. disbelieve, or disobey.

[the women].
αὐταῖς (autais)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Plural

Luke 24:12

Peter,
Πέτρος (Petros)
Strong's 4074: Peter, a Greek name meaning rock. Apparently a primary word; a rock; as a name, Petrus, an apostle.

however,
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

got up
ἀναστὰς (anastas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 450: To raise up, set up; I rise from among (the) dead; I arise, appear. From ana and histemi; to stand up.

[and] ran
ἔδραμεν (edramen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 5143: Apparently a primary verb; which uses dremo drem'-o as alternate in certain tenses; to run or walk hastily.

to
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

tomb.
μνημεῖον (mnēmeion)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3419: A tomb, sepulcher, monument. From mneme; a remembrance, i.e. Cenotaph.

And [after]
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

bending down
παρακύψας (parakypsas)
Strong's 3879: To stoop, peer in, look down, look intently. From para and kupto; to bend beside, i.e. Lean over.

[and] seeing
βλέπει (blepei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 991: (primarily physical), I look, see, perceive, discern. A primary verb; to look at.

only
μόνα (mona)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3441: Only, solitary, desolate. Probably from meno; remaining, i.e. Sole or single; by implication, mere.

the
τὰ (ta)
Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

linen cloths,
ὀθόνια (othonia)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3608: A linen bandage, a wrapping. Neuter of a presumed derivative of othone; a linen bandage.

he went away
ἀπῆλθεν (apēlthen)
Strong's 565: From apo and erchomai; to go off, aside or behind, literally or figuratively.

wondering
θαυμάζων (thaumazōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2296: (a) intrans: I wonder, marvel, (b) trans: I wonder at, admire. From thauma; to wonder; by implication, to admire.

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

himself
αὑτὸν (hauton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 848: Her own, his own, their own, themselves, they. Contracted for heautou; self.

what
τὸ (to)

had happened.
γεγονός (gegonos)
Verb - Perfect Participle Active - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

Luke 24:13

That
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

same
αὐτῇ (autē)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Singular

day
ἡμέρᾳ (hēmera)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

two
δύο (dyo)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1417: Two. A primary numeral; 'two'.

of
ἐξ (ex)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

them
αὐτῶν (autōn)

were
ἦσαν (ēsan)
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

going
πορευόμενοι (poreuomenoi)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4198: To travel, journey, go, die.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

a village
κώμην (kōmēn)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2968: A village, country town. From keimai; a hamlet.

called
ὄνομα (onoma)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.

Emmaus,
Ἐμμαοῦς (Emmaous)
Strong's 1695: Emmaus, a village not far from Jerusalem. Probably of Hebrew origin; Emmaus, a place in Palestine.

about seven miles
ἑξήκοντα (hexēkonta)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1835: Sixty. The tenth multiple of hex; sixty.

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

Jerusalem.
Ἰερουσαλήμ (Ierousalēm)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 2419: Of Hebrew origin; Hierusalem, the capitol of Palestine.

Luke 24:14

They
αὐτοὶ (autoi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

were talking
ὡμίλουν (hōmiloun)
Strong's 3656: From homilos; to be in company with, i.e. to converse.

with
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition

each other
ἀλλήλους (allēlous)
Personal / Reciprocal Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 240: One another, each other. Genitive plural from allos reduplicated; one another.

about
περὶ (peri)
Preposition
Strong's 4012: From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. Around; figuratively with respect to; used in various applications, of place, cause or time.

everything
πάντων (pantōn)
Adjective - Genitive Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

that
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Neuter Plural

had happened.
συμβεβηκότων (symbebēkotōn)
Verb - Perfect Participle Active - Genitive Neuter Plural
Strong's 4819: To happen, occur, meet. From sun and the base of basis; to walk together, i.e. Concur.

Luke 24:15

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

as
ἐγένετο (egeneto)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

they
αὐτοὺς (autous)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

talked
ὁμιλεῖν (homilein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active
Strong's 3656: From homilos; to be in company with, i.e. to converse.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

deliberated,
συζητεῖν (syzētein)
Strong's 4802: To seek together, discuss, dispute. From sun and zeteo; to investigate jointly, i.e. Discuss, controvert, cavil.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

Himself
αὐτὸς (autos)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

came up
ἐγγίσας (engisas)
Strong's 1448: Trans: I bring near; intrans: I come near, approach. From eggus; to make near, i.e. approach.

[and] walked along
συνεπορεύετο (syneporeueto)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 4848: From sun and poreuomai; to journey together; by implication, to assemble.

with them.
αὐτοῖς (autois)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

Luke 24:16

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

their
αὐτῶν (autōn)

eyes
ὀφθαλμοὶ (ophthalmoi)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3788: The eye; fig: the mind's eye. From optanomai; the eye; by implication, vision; figuratively, envy.

were kept
ἐκρατοῦντο (ekratounto)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2902: From kratos; to use strength, i.e. Seize or retain.

from recognizing
ἐπιγνῶναι (epignōnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 1921: From epi and ginosko; to know upon some mark, i.e. Recognize; by implication, to become fully acquainted with, to acknowledge.

Him.
αὐτόν (auton)

Luke 24:17

He asked
Εἶπεν (Eipen)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

them,
αὐτούς (autous)

“What
Τίνες (Tines)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

are you discussing so intently
ἀντιβάλλετε (antiballete)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 474: To throw at in opposition, exchange (words) with, perhaps: I compare. From anti and ballo; to bandy.

as you walk along?”
περιπατοῦντες (peripatountes)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4043: From peri and pateo; to tread all around, i.e. Walk at large; figuratively, to live, deport oneself, follow.

They stood still,
ἐστάθησαν (estathēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2476: A prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o; to stand, used in various applications.

with sadness on their faces.
σκυθρωποί (skythrōpoi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4659: From skuthros and a derivative of optanomai; angry-visaged, i.e. Gloomy or affecting a mournful appearance.

Luke 24:18

One [of them],
εἷς (heis)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1520: One. (including the neuter Hen); a primary numeral; one.

named
ὀνόματι (onomati)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.

Cleopas,
Κλεοπᾶς (Kleopas)
Strong's 2810: Probably contracted from Kleopatros; Cleopas, a Christian.

asked
ἀποκριθεὶς (apokritheis)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 611: From apo and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. to respond; by Hebraism to begin to speak.

Him,
αὐτόν (auton)

“{Are} You
Σὺ (Sy)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

the only
μόνος (monos)
Strong's 3441: Only, solitary, desolate. Probably from meno; remaining, i.e. Sole or single; by implication, mere.

visitor
παροικεῖς (paroikeis)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 3939: To sojourn, dwell in as a stranger. From para and oikeo; to dwell near, i.e. Reside as a foreigner.

to Jerusalem
Ἰερουσαλὴμ (Ierousalēm)
Strong's 2419: Of Hebrew origin; Hierusalem, the capitol of Palestine.

[who]
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

{does} not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

know
ἔγνως (egnōs)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1097: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to 'know' in a great variety of applications and with many implications.

the things
τὰ (ta)

that have happened
γενόμενα (genomena)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Accusative Neuter Plural

[there]
αὐτῇ (autē)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Singular

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

recent
ταύταις (tautais)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Dative Feminine Plural

days?”
ἡμέραις (hēmerais)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural

Luke 24:19

“What things?”
Ποῖα (Poia)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4169: Of what sort. From the base of pou and hoios; individualizing interrogative what sort of, or which one.

He asked.
εἶπεν (eipen)

“The events
Τὰ (Ta)

involving
περὶ (peri)
Preposition
Strong's 4012: From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. Around; figuratively with respect to; used in various applications, of place, cause or time.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

of
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

Nazareth,”
Ναζαρηνοῦ (Nazarēnou)
Strong's 3479: Of Nazareth, a Nazarene. From Nazareth; a Nazarene, i.e. Inhabitant of Nazareth.

they answered.
εἶπαν (eipan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural

“[This] man
ἀνὴρ (anēr)
Strong's 435: A male human being; a man, husband. A primary word; a man.

was
ἐγένετο (egeneto)

a prophet,
προφήτης (prophētēs)
Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

powerful
δυνατὸς (dynatos)
Strong's 1415: (a) of persons: powerful, able, (b) of things: possible. From dunamai; powerful or capable; neuter possible.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

speech
λόγῳ (logō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3056: From lego; something said; by implication, a topic, also reasoning or motive; by extension, a computation; specially, the Divine Expression.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

action
ἔργῳ (ergō)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 2041: From a primary ergo; toil; by implication, an act.

before
ἐναντίον (enantion)
Preposition
Strong's 1726: Before, in the presence of, in the eyes of. Neuter of enantios; in the presence of.

God
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

all
παντὸς (pantos)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

people.
λαοῦ (laou)
Strong's 2992: Apparently a primary word; a people.

Luke 24:20

[Our]
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

chief priests
ἀρχιερεῖς (archiereis)
Strong's 749: High priest, chief priest. From arche and hiereus; the high-priest; by extension a chief priest.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

rulers
ἄρχοντες (archontes)
Strong's 758: Present participle of archo; a first.

delivered Him up
παρέδωκαν (paredōkan)
Strong's 3860: From para and didomi; to surrender, i.e yield up, intrust, transmit.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

[the] sentence
κρίμα (krima)
Strong's 2917: From krino; a decision ('crime').

of death,
θανάτου (thanatou)
Strong's 2288: Death, physical or spiritual. From thnesko; death.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they crucified
ἐσταύρωσαν (estaurōsan)
Strong's 4717: From stauros; to impale on the cross; figuratively, to extinguish passion or selfishness.

Him.
αὐτόν (auton)

Luke 24:21

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

we
ἡμεῖς (hēmeis)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

were hoping
ἠλπίζομεν (ēlpizomen)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1679: To hope, hope for, expect, trust. From elpis; to expect or confide.

He
αὐτός (autos)

was
ἐστιν (estin)

the [One who]
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular

would
μέλλων (mellōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3195: A strengthened form of melo; to intend, i.e. Be about to be, do, or suffer something.

redeem
λυτροῦσθαι (lytrousthai)
Verb - Present Infinitive Middle
Strong's 3084: To release on receipt of ransom; mid: I redeem, release by paying ransom, liberate. From lutron; to ransom.

Israel.
Ἰσραήλ (Israēl)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2474: Of Hebrew origin; Israel, the adopted name of Jacob, including his descendants.

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

besides
γε (ge)
Particle
Strong's 1065: A primary particle of emphasis or qualification.

all
πᾶσιν (pasin)
Adjective - Dative Neuter Plural

[this],
τούτοις (toutois)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Dative Neuter Plural

[it]
ταύτην (tautēn)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Feminine Singular

is
ἄγει (agei)
Strong's 71: A primary verb; properly, to lead; by implication, to bring, drive, go, pass, or induce.

[the] third
τρίτην (tritēn)
Adjective - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5154: Third. Ordinal from treis; third; neuter a third part, or a third time, thirdly.

day
ἡμέραν (hēmeran)

since
ἀφ’ (aph’)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

these things
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Plural

took place.
ἐγένετο (egeneto)

Luke 24:22

Furthermore,
Ἀλλὰ (Alla)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

some
τινες (tines)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 5100: Any one, some one, a certain one or thing. An enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object.

of
ἐξ (ex)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

our
ἡμῶν (hēmōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

women
γυναῖκές (gynaikes)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 1135: A woman, wife, my lady. Probably from the base of ginomai; a woman; specially, a wife.

amazed
ἐξέστησαν (exestēsan)
Strong's 1839: From ek and histemi; to put out of wits, i.e. Astound, or become astounded, insane.

us.
ἡμᾶς (hēmas)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 1st Person Plural

They were
γενόμεναι (genomenai)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Feminine Plural

at
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition

the
τὸ (to)

tomb
μνημεῖον (mnēmeion)
Strong's 3419: A tomb, sepulcher, monument. From mneme; a remembrance, i.e. Cenotaph.

early this morning,
ὀρθριναὶ (orthrinai)
Adjective - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 3720: Early. From orthros; relating to the dawn, i.e. Matutinal.

Luke 24:23

but
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they did not find
εὑροῦσαι (heurousai)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

body.
σῶμα (sōma)
Strong's 4983: Body, flesh; the body of the Church. From sozo; the body, used in a very wide application, literally or figuratively.

They came
ἦλθον (ēlthon)
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

[and] told [us]
λέγουσαι (legousai)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

they had seen
ἑωρακέναι (heōrakenai)
Verb - Perfect Infinitive Active
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

a vision
ὀπτασίαν (optasian)
Strong's 3701: A vision, supernatural appearance. From a presumed derivative of optanomai; visuality, i.e. an apparition.

of angels
ἀγγέλων (angelōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

who
οἳ (hoi)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

said that
λέγουσιν (legousin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

[Jesus]
αὐτὸν (auton)

was alive.
ζῆν (zēn)
Strong's 2198: To live, be alive. A primary verb; to live.

Luke 24:24

Then
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

some
τινες (tines)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 5100: Any one, some one, a certain one or thing. An enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object.

of our companions
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

went
ἀπῆλθόν (apēlthon)
Strong's 565: From apo and erchomai; to go off, aside or behind, literally or figuratively.

to
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition

the
τὸ (to)

tomb
μνημεῖον (mnēmeion)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

found [it]
εὗρον (heuron)
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

just
οὕτως (houtōs)
Adverb
Strong's 3779: Thus, so, in this manner. Or (referring to what precedes or follows).

as
καθὼς (kathōs)
Adverb
Strong's 2531: According to the manner in which, in the degree that, just as, as. From kata and hos; just as, that.

the
αἱ (hai)
Article - Nominative Feminine Plural

women
γυναῖκες (gynaikes)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 1135: A woman, wife, my lady. Probably from the base of ginomai; a woman; specially, a wife.

had described.
εἶπον (eipon)

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

Him
αὐτὸν (auton)

they did not see.”
εἶδον (eidon)
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

Luke 24:25

Then
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

[Jesus]
αὐτὸς (autos)

said
εἶπεν (eipen)

to
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition

them,
αὐτούς (autous)

“O
Ὦ (Ō)
Interjection
Strong's 5599: A primary interjection; as a sign of the vocative case, O; as a note of exclamation, oh.

foolish [ones],
ἀνόητοι (anoētoi)
Adjective - Vocative Masculine Plural
Strong's 453: Foolish, thoughtless. By implication, sensual.

[how] slow
βραδεῖς (bradeis)
Adjective - Vocative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1021: Slow, slow of understanding. Of uncertain affinity; slow; figuratively, dull.

are your hearts
καρδίᾳ (kardia)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2588: Prolonged from a primary kar; the heart, i.e. the thoughts or feelings; also the middle.

to believe
πιστεύειν (pisteuein)
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

all
πᾶσιν (pasin)
Adjective - Dative Neuter Plural

that
οἷς (hois)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Dative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

the
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

prophets
προφῆται (prophētai)
Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

have spoken.
ἐλάλησαν (elalēsan)
Strong's 2980: A prolonged form of an otherwise obsolete verb; to talk, i.e. Utter words.

Luke 24:26

Was it not necessary for
ἔδει (edei)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

Christ
Χριστὸν (Christon)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5547: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.

to suffer
παθεῖν (pathein)
Strong's 3958: I am acted upon in a certain way, either good or bad; I experience ill treatment, suffer.

these things
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural

and then
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

to enter
εἰσελθεῖν (eiselthein)
Strong's 1525: To go in, come in, enter. From eis and erchomai; to enter.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

glory?”
δόξαν (doxan)
Strong's 1391: From the base of dokeo; glory, in a wide application.

Luke 24:27

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

beginning
ἀρξάμενος (arxamenos)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 756: To begin. Middle voice of archo; to commence.

with
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition

Moses
Μωϋσέως (Mōuseōs)
Strong's 3475: Or Moses, or Mouses of Hebrew origin; Moseus, Moses, or Mouses, the Hebrew lawgiver.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

all
πάντων (pantōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

Prophets,
προφητῶν (prophētōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural

He explained
διερμήνευσεν (diermēneusen)
Strong's 1329: To translate, interpret, explain. From dia and hermeneuo; to explain thoroughly, by implication, to translate.

to them
αὐτοῖς (autois)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

what [ was written ]
τὰ (ta)

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

all
πάσαις (pasais)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Plural

the
ταῖς (tais)
Article - Dative Feminine Plural

Scriptures
γραφαῖς (graphais)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 1124: (a) a writing, (b) a passage of scripture; plur: the scriptures. A document, i.e. Holy Writ.

about
περὶ (peri)
Preposition

Himself.
ἑαυτοῦ (heautou)
Reflexive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1438: Himself, herself, itself.

Luke 24:28

As
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

they approached
ἤγγισαν (ēngisan)
Strong's 1448: Trans: I bring near; intrans: I come near, approach. From eggus; to make near, i.e. approach.

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

village
κώμην (kōmēn)
Strong's 2968: A village, country town. From keimai; a hamlet.

where
οὗ (hou)
Adverb
Strong's 3757: Where, whither, when, in what place. Genitive case of hos as adverb; at which place, i.e. Where.

they were headed,
ἐπορεύοντο (eporeuonto)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Plural

He
αὐτὸς (autos)

seemed
προσεποιήσατο (prosepoiēsato)
Strong's 4364: To pretend, regard, make a show of. Middle voice from pros and poieo; to do forward for oneself, i.e. Pretend.

to be going
πορεύεσθαι (poreuesthai)
Verb - Present Infinitive Middle or Passive

farther.
πορρώτερον (porrōteron)
Adverb
Strong's 4206: Far, far off, at a distance. Adverb from pro; forwards, i.e. At a distance.

Back