• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for Jesus according to Luke

86) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 24:25

Then

Καὶ (Kai)

Conjunction

Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

[Jesus]

αὐτὸς (autos)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

said

εἶπεν (eipen)

Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

to

πρὸς (pros)

Preposition

Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

them,

αὐτούς (autous)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

“O

Ὦ (Ō)

Interjection

Strong's 5599: A primary interjection; as a sign of the vocative case, O; as a note of exclamation, oh.

foolish [ones],

ἀνόητοι (anoētoi)

Adjective - Vocative Masculine Plural

Strong's 453: Foolish, thoughtless. By implication, sensual.

[how] slow

βραδεῖς (bradeis)

Adjective - Vocative Masculine Plural

Strong's 1021: Slow, slow of understanding. Of uncertain affinity; slow; figuratively, dull.

are your hearts

καρδίᾳ (kardia)

Noun - Dative Feminine Singular

Strong's 2588: Prolonged from a primary kar; the heart, i.e. the thoughts or feelings; also the middle.

to believe

πιστεύειν (pisteuein)

Verb - Present Infinitive Active

Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

all

πᾶσιν (pasin)

Adjective - Dative Neuter Plural

Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

that

οἷς (hois)

Personal / Relative Pronoun - Dative Neuter Plural

Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

the

οἱ (hoi)

Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

prophets

προφῆται (prophētai)

Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

have spoken.

ἐλάλησαν (elalēsan)

Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 2980: A prolonged form of an otherwise obsolete verb; to talk, i.e. Utter words.

- They still don’t understand!

- How is it possible to call yourselves a chosen people and behave like that?

- How is it possible for people to keep doing and thinking and believing the same today?

- Jesus is not going to die a second time!

- He will come as a warrior to clean the earth!

- If people don’t understand, it’s their choice!

87) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 24:26- 49

- Jesus must tell Peter and another disciple about his death and his resurrection according to the prophets!

- then they dine with him!

- Finally they recognize Jesus!

- Then they go back to Jerusalem to the Eleven and those assembled with them!

- And they tell them what happened!

- At the same time Jesus appears to them!

- they are all terrified!

- Then Jesus tells them to check his hands and feet!

- Then Jesus eats something to show them he is real!

- And he repeats everything he told them about his death and his resurrection!

- And he is sending upon them what his father promised!

- But they must stay in the city till they receive it! (Luke 24:49)

1)

Yah.weh = the God of the promise or of the promises!

Jesus Christ = Yeshua = Yah is salvation!

Christ = christos = mashiach/mah-shee-ahch = Messiah = anointed one!

Luke chapter 1

• We are told about people being righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and decrees of the Lord!
  • As a priest before God!
  • The temple of the Lord!
  • An angel of the Lord!
  • In the sight of the Lord!
  • He will turn back to the Lord their God!
  • He will go on before the Lord!
  • To make ready a people prepared for the Lord!
  • In the presence of God!
  • The Lord has done this for me!
  • God sent the angel Gabriel!
  • The Lord is with you!
  • You have found favor with God!
  • He will be called the Son of the most High!
  • The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David!
  • And he will reign over the house of Jacob forever!
  • His kingdom will never end!
  • And the power of the Most high will overshadow you!
  • The Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God!
  • For nothing will be impossible with God!
  • I am the Lord’s servant!
  • The mother of my Lord should come to me!
  • The Lord’s word!
  • My soul magnifies the Lord!
  • My spirit rejoices in God my Savior!
  • That the Lord had shown her great mercy!
  • For the Lord’s hand was with him!
  • Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel!
  • A prophet of the Most High!
  • For you will go on before the Lord to prepare his ways!
  • Because of the tender mercy of our God!

7) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 5:

- The Pharisees and the scribes don’t understand why Jesus eats with tax collectors and sinners!

- How is it possible to ask such stupid questions?

- The answer is in Jesus’ life, you open your eyes and you shut your mouth!

- That’s why God looked for faithful leaders through experience and hard life!

- First of all, we are all sinners, So!

- Think about what people are doing on Christianforums.com!

- Jesus came on earth to help all kinds of people, so!

- What is the Bible? IS IT NOT A HUGE TABLE FOR SINNERS?

What are people doing on Christianforums.com? Why should I think about whatever it is that they are doing?

Luke 5:

- The Pharisees and the scribes don’t understand why Jesus eats with tax collectors and sinners!

What are people doing on Christianforums.com? Why should I think about whatever it is that they are doing?
- I can only speak for myself!
- If you read my threads, you can seeIi speak about Yah.weh and his word!

9) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Mark 4: Then he adds: “Let the one who has ears to listen, listen.”

- How do they want people to listen to them if they are not able to listen themselves!

- Jesus is able to speak and listen at the same time that is why he goes directly to the point!

- It is hard to learn how to listen carefully but it is easy to speak for nothing!

- In fact, first it is necessary to listen carefully and second you can speak meaningful words!

- The reverse doesn’t work!

- It is the same when studying, you need to penetrate deeply the context, otherwise you will only bring what is superficial!

He spoke to them in parables. Why?

“so that they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand; lest they should turn again, and be forgiven.”

(Mark 4:12)

Last edited:

Luke 5:

- I can only speak for myself!
- If you read my threads, you can seeIi speak about Yah.weh and his word!

In that case, I don’t understand your admonition to think about what they are doing.

9) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 6: At this some of the Pharisees say: “Why are you doing what is not lawful on the sabbath?”

- Insensible

- Superficial

- Only looking for the appearances

- Unable to put oneself in question

- Senile in their brain

- Unable to evolve

- Limited

- No perspective

- Mentally dead

“Some of the Pharisees said …”

Jesus also was believed by some of the Pharisees.

10) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 6: The scribes and the Pharisees are now watching Jesus closely to see whether he will cure on the sabbath, in order to find some way to accuse him.

- Jesus has no time to lose but apparently the religious leaders have nothing to do and plenty of time to lose: once again the choice is clear, according to whom you choose, you show what you are looking for! So the religious leaders are not the only one to be guilty but also those who decide to follow them! It’s up to us to make the right decision!

Some religious leaders are good; some religious leaders aren’t.

11) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 6: A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly instructed will be like his teacher.

- Jesus taught his disciples and the apostles and when he died they replaced him which shows they were perfectly instructed.

- We can’t say the same with the religious leaders, on the contrary!

Those who “replaced him” (I greatly dislike that phrase - no one can replace Jesus) themselves became religious leaders.

12) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 6:

- Jesus compares the one who hears and does nothing to a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The river dashed against it, and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great.

- Too many examples in the Bible show us that the religious leaders build their house without foundation and their teachings lead nowhere, only on the wrong way!

- When we really listen to Jesus, we want to build our house with foundation and follow his way not their way!

- Once again, it’s up to us, we must make the right choice and know why we do it !

- When our house is in ruin, it’s too late!

- It is important to make the right choice on time!

The house of those who haven’t listened to Jesus is already in ruin. As long as they draw breathe, it’s not too late for them to listen to Jesus, understand what he says, believe what he says, repent of their unbelief and be forgiven.

Luke 6: A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly instructed will be like his teacher.

- Jesus taught his disciples and the apostles and when he died they replaced him which shows they were perfectly instructed.

Those who “replaced him” (I greatly dislike that phrase - no one can replace Jesus) themselves became religious leaders.
- They kept doing his work!
- Personally, I don't like the expression religious leaders because Jesus always opposed them when he was on earth!

13) Jesus vs the religious leaders

Luke 7:

- John the baptist sends two of his disciples to ask Jesus if he is the Messiah!

- They can see Jesus curing people and doing many miracles and teaching about God’s Kingdom!

- And Jesus tells them to tell what they have just seen!

- Action is better than words!

- When what we say corresponds with what we do, it is more powerful than anything!

- Jesus doesn’t answer directly to John but he tells him about his miracles and his teaching! Isn’t it the best answer?

- John the Baptist understands perfectly well and he rejoices!

- But not the religious leaders: where is the mistake?

- They understand but they don’t care because it is against their own interests!

- Jesus looks for his Father’s interests, they don’t!

- So we must be careful not to serve the religious leaders’ interests instead of God’s interests!

The religious leaders understood that Jesus was claiming to be the Messiah. John the Baptist believed what Jesus claimed; most of the religious leaders didn’t.

Luke 6:

- Jesus compares the one who hears and does nothing to a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The river dashed against it, and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great.

- Too many examples in the Bible show us that the religious leaders build their house without foundation and their teachings lead nowhere, only on the wrong way!

- When we really listen to Jesus, we want to build our house with foundation and follow his way not their way!

- Once again, it’s up to us, we must make the right choice and know why we do it !

The house of those who haven’t listened to Jesus is already in ruin. As long as they draw breathe, it’s not too late for them to listen to Jesus, understand what he says, believe what he says, repent of their unbelief and be forgiven.
- Yes but the majority of religious leaders opposed him!
- In fact, Israel as a people has always been in ruin!

- They kept doing his work!

That’s well said.

- Personally, I don't like the expression religious leaders because Jesus always opposed them when he was on earth!

He didn’t always oppose them. There were some things which he and they were in agreement about.

Luke 7:

- John the baptist sends two of his disciples to ask Jesus if he is the Messiah!

- They can see Jesus curing people and doing many miracles and teaching about God’s Kingdom!

- When what we say corresponds with what we do, it is more powerful than anything!

- Jesus doesn’t answer directly to John but he tells him about his miracles and his teaching! Isn’t it the best answer?

- They understand but they don’t care because it is against their own interests!

- So we must be careful not to serve the religious leaders’ interests instead of God’s interests!

The religious leaders understood that Jesus was claiming to be the Messiah. John the Baptist believed what Jesus claimed; most of the religious leaders didn’t.
- But they wanted someone who would free them from the Romans!
- They wanted a human king as usual!
- Thus they have always rejected Yah.weh!

Luke 6:

- Yes but the majority of religious leaders opposed him!

Even the majority of the religious leaders disn’t oppose him in all things. They held certain beliefs in common.

- In fact, Israel as a people has always been in ruin!

Israel as a people hasn’t always been in ruin. There were always individual Israelites who were approved and accepted by their God.

Luke 7:

Wouldn’t you if you were in their place?

Jesus is a human king.

They haven’t always rejected Yahweh.

Luke 7:

Jesus is a human king.

- No way, the Bible only speaks about Yah.weh's kingdom!
- No way, he only went down on the earth because Yah.weh gave him a mission!
- But his place is in heaven in the New Jerusalem!
- They started doing it just when they left Egypt!
- They should have been destroyed many times And Moses saved them!

Luke 7:

Jesus is a human king.

- No way, the Bible only speaks about Yah.weh's kingdom!

The Bible speaks about many kingdoms.

- No way, he only went down on the earth because Yah.weh gave him a mission!

Yahweh raised him up from among the people and sent him into the world. It’s fair to say that he was on a mission from God.

- But his place is in heaven in the New Jerusalem!

Jesus is in heaven now - sitting at the right hand of Yahweh - but he will return to the earth in the future. His place is reigning on the throne of his father David in Jerusalem.

- They started doing it just when they left Egypt!

I think we could say that they started “doing it” even before they went down to Egypt.

- They should have been destroyed many times And Moses saved them!

Moses interceded for them and Yahweh saved them.

Back