1. We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.
    Dismiss Notice

Jewish vs Christian Scriptures

Discussion in 'Bible History and Versions' started by Eliyahu, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu New Member

Bs'd

The arguments; "O.K, the New Testament is not reliable, but the Old Testament, which is much older, is also not reliable", or the argument; "The Jews changed the Old Testament after the rise of Christianity, in order to discredit Christianity" are not valid. The Torah, the most Holy part of the Hebrew Bible, is transmitted through the ages, over a time period of 3300 years with an astonishing degree of accuracy. There are very many rules that apply to the copying process of Torah scrolls: They may only be written on parchment of kosher animals, which must be sewn together with tendons of kosher animals. It may only be written by a Jew, dressed in a Jewish garment, in a state of ritual purity, which means that, amongst other things, he must wash himself in a ritual bath. Even his state of mind is subjected to certain rulings. The whole manuscript must be ruled before it is written upon, when three words are written without ruling, the whole manuscript is disqualified and must be buried. The ink may only be black, prepared according to an ancient recipe. The Torah scroll may only be copied from another authentic scroll, and absolutely no deviation is allowed. Absolutely no words may be written without first looking to the example. The length of each column must be between 48 and 60 rules, and the width must be 30 letters. Between the letters must be a space as wide as a hair, between the paragraphs a space of nine letters, between the books a space of three rules. Calculations have been made how many letters there are in the whole Torah, which letter is the middle, how many letters there are in every book of the Torah, how many times certain words and even letters appear in the text. And there are many, many more rules for copying Torah scrolls that are still in effect, up to this day. No other religion had such an extremely precise way of copying their holy texts. This shows the enormous respect that the Jewish people have for the sacred text, and this is the reason that the text is handed down through the millennia with an extreme grade of accuracy.

You know anybody else who transmitted their holy books like this?

The NT is based upon the corrupted LXX, because the NT writers couldn't read Hebrew. So they had to use a bad translation.

And then saying: "Look! The NT is in agreement with the LXX, and the Hebrew text differs, therefore the Hebrew text is wrong!" is of course nonsense.

2. CTZonEdit

CTZonEdit Site Administrator Staff Member

Why would that matter? If the text they are copying is corrupted it doesn't matter how much tedium you go thru to make sure you copy it correctly, its still corrupted from the source material.

Why would you now claim that the source of your texts are infallible because they were copied with scrutiny? That doesn't make any sense.

Eliyahu likes this.
  3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu New Member

Bs'd

That matters of course a great deal. The ones with the most respect for their text and with the most exacting copying process are the most likely to have the correct text.

But those with a great respect for their text and a very exact copying process are of course very unlikely to start out with a corrupted text.

On the other hand, somebody with a sloppy copying process, even if they start out with a correct text, it will be corrupted very soon.

Who is the source for the Tanach? The Jews.

Who copies their texts with the most care? The Jews.

And then you say the Christians have the best version of the Tanach??

Doesn't make too much sense.

No copying process done by hand over thousands of years can be perfect.

The question is: Which is the most perfect? And then there is no question that the Jewish traditional text, carried through the millennia with great care, is the best.

Putting a corrupted translation like the LXX on a higher level is unscientific.

4. CTZonEdit

CTZonEdit Site Administrator Staff Member

The only scientific evidence you have of "Jewish traditional" texts are The Masoretic Texts and they are flawed. I'll show you again.

Your claim of Jewish tradition and perfection is unfounded. Here is even more evidence:

And one last piece of evidence:

This is why we reject the claimed "superiority" of the Hebrew in light of ALL the scriptural scientific evidence. You hold on to Hebrew being superior in spite of the overwhelming majority of evidence to the contrary.

That seems highly illogical.

You place the inferior MT over everything in your worldview in spite of the evidence against it.

5. John logan

John logan Getting Started

I was called by the Holy Spirit to repent of my sins. I did I've asked God to guide me he has to watch over me he has to send me a wife he dijesus said how hard it would be for those who hadn't seen to believe. It is. Jesus said he was the messiah he was. How else was he killed and risen and seen by 500 people. We are free to follow Satan or Jesus. Why else the histry of Christians who continually help Israel. What can be the purpose of trying to disprove the bible and religious writings left for us.

6. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Administrator Staff Member

It leaves what Satan wants, a world without God.

John logan likes this.
  7. John logan

John logan Getting Started

Yes that is the answer,from a Jew. I'm doubting the. Veracity of his identification.

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu New Member

Bs"d

The dead sea scrolls are full of mistakes and spelling errors. I'm not saying the MT is perfect, but when I have to choose I go for the traditional text.

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu New Member

Bs"d

What I want, is a world with only the true God, without any idols.

Who is the true God? Y-H-W-H. Besides Him there is no other God.

10. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Administrator Staff Member