• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Day of the Lord

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
DOTL - Hebrew and Greek Exact Phrase Verses
There have been so many claims, points, doctrines, positions expressed on the Day of the Lord, I thought it would be good to even test my own position against what the verses that expressly stated DOTL in the Hebrew and Greek.

I will admit a couple of my thoughts went down the drain. While no damage to my overall beliefs on the issue, there was change.

I used the Interlinear to search out the Hebrew and Greek. In the Hebrew the term DOTL is "hwhy ewy" and in the Greek is "hmera kuriou" as used in the Interlinear data base. These are the verses where the exact term DOTL is used:

Isaiah 13: 6
Joel 1: 15
Joel 3: 14
Amos 5: 18
Amos 5: 20
Zephaniah 1: 7
Zephaniah 1: 14
Malachi 4: 15
1 Thessalonians 5: 2
2 Peter 3: 10

And those are the ONLY verses it is used in per the Interlinear original language database.

Now, I know some will wish to immediately launch into pulling in other verses to support his doctrine. But, for here, I am only looking at these specific verses to establish the Biblical foundation for the term DOTL. You should do the same. If they will not support your doctrine all the other verses in the Bible will not make your doctrine correct.

There are too many verses to do a full post of every verse plus all the Interlinear word definitions. So, I will only post the key issues within each set of verses.

ISAIAH 13: 6

Isaiah 13 is the battle of Armageddon. I do not think there is really any need to expound here. So, the Second Coming is in the Day of the Lord.

JOEL 1: 15

Joel 1 is talking about the Great Tribulation. Look at:
1. Verse 6 is the AC at the Mid. He is spoken of in the past tense.
2. Verses 7 through 14 and 16 on continue to be past tense. And they are issues of the Mid and the Great Trib.
3. Verse 15 contain the DOTL. Now, look at the definition of day. Day is not limited to a 24 hour period. Hand means near. But, does it mean near in the sense of yet to come or near in the sense of completion? Remember the previous verses are all past tense? Well the tense changes in verse 15 to:
Qal
Qal is the most frequently used verb pattern. It expresses the "simple" or "casual" action of the root in the active voice.
Examples:
he sat, he ate, he went, he said, he rose, he bought
This form accounts for 66.7% of the verbs parsed.

Word Mood
Imperfect
The imperfect expresses an action, process or condition which is incomplete, and it has a wide range of meaning:

It is used to describe a single (as opposed to a repeated) action in the past; it differs from the perfect in being more vivid and pictorial. The perfect expresses the "fact", the imperfect adds colour and movement by suggesting the "process" preliminary to its completion.
he put forth his hand to the door
it came to a halt
I began to hear

A phrase such as "What seekest thou?", refers not only to the present, but assumes that the search has continued for some time.
Why do you weep?
Why refuse to eat?
Why are you distressed?

These relate not so much as to one occasion, as to a continued condition.

The kind of progression or imperfection and unfinished condition of the action may consist in its frequent repetition.
In the present:
it is "said" today
a wise son "maketh glad" his father

In the past:
"and so he did" - regularly, year by year
a mist "used to go up"
the fish which "we used to eat"
the manna "came down" - regularly
he "spoke" - repeatedly

The imperfect is used to express the "future", referring not only to an action which is about to be accomplished but one which has not yet begun:
This may be a future from the point of view of the real present; as:
Now "shalt thou see what I will do"
"We will burn" thy house

It may be a future from any other point of view assumed; as:
he took his son that "was to reign"
she stayed to see what "should be done"

The usage of 3b may be taken as the transitive to a common use of the imperfect in which it serves for an expression of those shades of relation among acts and thoughts for which English prefers the conditional moods. Such actions are strictly "future" in reference to the assumed point of relation, and the simple imperfect sufficiently expresses them; e.g.
of every tree thou "mayest eat"
"could we know"
he "would" say

The imperfect follows particles expressing "transition", "purpose", "result" and so forth as, "in order that", "lest"; e.g.
say thou art my sister, "that it may be well with thee"
let us deal wisely with the nation, "lest it multiplies"

When however there is a strong feeling of "purpose", or when it is meant to be strongly marked, then of course the moods are employed; e.g.
raise me up "that I may requite them"
who will entice Ahab "that he may go up"
what shall we do "that the sea may be calm"

So, I can hear Post saying "See, future event yet to come" is part of the definition. Yes, the usage allows for that but it is used in reference here to destruction that is already happened and is still happening. You cannot claim a future start to what is already in progress.

The usage here is clearly referring to the concluding of what begun at the Mid as regards Israel. Note, Israel, not the whole world. To attempt to assign meaning of future only to one sentence in the middle of a whole chapter dealing with destruction is not a viable or logical assertion.

Verse 15 talks about what is and its future conclusion. The whole GT is the DOTL.

JOEL 3: 14

Joel 3 is again referring to the GT. Verse 1 is again the Mid. In those days and at that time they will again go into captivity. And the description continues through verse 6.

And what is one of the things he does during that time and in the first 6 verses? Verse 2 says he "also" gathers them to the battle of Armageddon, which is the Second Coming.

Verses 7 on say how God responds to the actions of the AC and the nations.

And in verse 14 he calls this "time" referred to in verse 1 the DOTL. Look at the definition of "day". "Time" is a definition.

Again, you cannot strip one verse out of the passage and assign it a different meaning than the rest of the passage. Especially when the verses constitute a continuous flow of one subject.

AMOS 5: 18, 20

Amos 5 talks about issues in Israel and with the Jews. It says woe to those who wish for the DOTL. That day will be dark, not light.

First point is that day does not always mean 24 hours. It also means a specific period of defined time.

Second, darkness means:
darkness, obscurity
a. darkness
b. secret place
Read the descriptions of the destruction that hits the earth during the Trib. If you are aware of what such destruction would do to the atmosphere, then you know there are not going to be bright sun shiny days. There will be a lot of particulates in the air making the world a much darker place. Visions will be obscured. If you are not aware of what will happen due to the destruction God sends, then you need to study up on it the issues.

So, the issue of darkening the sky will not be limited to one day.

ZEPHANIAH 1: 7, 14

Zephaniah 1 Read the chapter and then read the Trumpets and Bowls of Revelation. The Great Trib again. And again the DOTL is term used to cover the whole chapter. Again, you cannot split it out of the flow of the whole chapter.

MALACHI 4: 5

Malachi 4 is a warning against the DOTL. And note two things:
1. Elijah will be sent before the DOTL. So, he cannot be sent during the GT because that is during the DOTL.
2. It says if Israel does not turn back to God because of Elijah God will strike Israel with a curse. The Two Witnesses come in the first half of the Trib. Israel does not turn back to God, meaning Christ. So, he strikes Israel with the curse of the DOTL, which is the GT which ends at the Second Coming, where they do turn to Christ.

Now, before moving on it is important to say that these verses deal with Israel and the Jews, not the Gentile Church. There is no mention of the Rapture here. No mention of coming as a thief in the night. None at all. Nor how the DOTL would impact the whole world. So, as regards the Jews, the DOTL begins Mid Trib and ends at the Second Coming.

1 THESSALONIANS 5: 2

1 Thessalonians 4: 13 through 5: 11 is the Rapture. Now here we have the introduction of thief in the night. And the Rapture is called DOTL. Plus, destruction immediately follows.

So, while the DOTL begins for Israel at the Mid, it begins for the Church at the Rapture/Revealing of the AC/Appearance of the Two Witnesses.

2 PETER 3: 10

2 Peter 3
By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.
By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

Here is a clear declaration of the heavens and the earth being reserved for destruction.

Now a lot say this is referring to the Flood. I disagree. I firmly believe this refers to the destruction of Gen 1: 2.

Now, moving on:
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.[1]
Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives
as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.[2] That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

Now, in the KJV for reference to the Interlinear:

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Verse 10;
PASS AWAY:
to go past, pass by
of persons moving forward
to pass by
of time
an act continuing for a time
metaph.
to pass away, peris
to pass by (pass over), that is, to neglect, omit, (transgress)
to be led by, to be carried past, be averted
to come near, come forward, arrive

**PASS AWAY MEANS TO PERISH. THE HEAVENS WILL PERISH.

ELEMENTS:
any first thing, from which the others belonging to some series or composite whole take their rise, an element, first principal
the letters of the alphabet as the elements of speech, not however the written characters, but the spoken sounds
the elements from which all things have come, the material causes of the universe
the heavenly bodies, either as parts of the heavens or (as others think) because in them the elements of man, life and destiny were supposed to reside
the elements, rudiments, primary and fundamental principles of any art, science, or discipline
i.e. of mathematics, Euclid's geometry

**THE VERY PARTICLES FROM WHICH THE HEAVENS ARE MADE.

MELT:
to loose any person (or thing) tied or fastened
bandages of the feet, the shoes,
of a husband and wife joined together by the bond of matrimony
of a single man, whether he has already had a wife or has not yet married
to loose one bound, i.e. to unbind, release from bonds, set free
of one bound up (swathed in bandages)
bound with chains (a prisoner), discharge from prison, let go
to loosen, undo, dissolve, anything bound, tied, or compacted together
an assembly, i.e. to dismiss, break up
laws, as having a binding force, are likened to bonds
to annul, subvert
to do away with, to deprive of authority, whether by precept or act
to declare unlawful
to loose what is compacted or built together, to break up, demolish, destroy
to dissolve something coherent into parts, to destroy
metaph., to overthrow, to do away with

**THAT WHICH BINDS THE COMPONENT PARTS OF THE HEAVENS TOGETHER WILL BECOME UNBOUND. THE VERY FABRIC OF THE HEAVENS WILL DISSOLVE.

EARTH ALSO:
and, also, even, indeed, but

**ALL THAT HAPPENS TO THE HEAVENS WILL HAPPEN TO THE EARTH.

BURNED UP:
to burn up, consume by fire

**SEE MELT.

Verse 11:
DISSOLVE:
to loose any person (or thing) tied or fastened
bandages of the feet, the shoes,
of a husband and wife joined together by the bond of matrimony
of a single man, whether he has already had a wife or has not yet married
to loose one bound, i.e. to unbind, release from bonds, set free
of one bound up (swathed in bandages)
bound with chains (a prisoner), discharge from prison, let go
to loosen, undo, dissolve, anything bound, tied, or compacted together
an assembly, i.e. to dismiss, break up
laws, as having a binding force, are likened to bonds
to annul, subvert
to do away with, to deprive of authority, whether by precept or act
to declare unlawful
to loose what is compacted or built together, to break up, demolish, destroy
to dissolve something coherent into parts, to destroy
metaph., to overthrow, to do away with
**IDENTICAL MEANING TO MELT. ALL THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH ARE MELTED, DISSOLVED.

Verse 12:
FIRE:
to burn with fire, to set on fire, kindle
to be on fire, to burn
to be incensed, indignant
make to glow
full of fire, fiery, ignited 1b
of darts filled with inflammable substances and set on fire
melted by fire and purged of dross

**CROSS REFERENCE WITH MELT.

DISSOLVED, ELEMENTS, MELT:

**DEFINITIONS ALREADY GIVEN. AGAIN, TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH.

HEAT:
to burn up, set fire to
to suffer with feverish burning, be parched with fever

All meanings are very clear. This is the end of the world. Total final destruction of the present heavens and the earth. And it is a single presentation to both Jews and Gentiles.

So, here is what I see the verses saying:
1. The Rapture starts the DOTL. It comes like a thief in the night.
2. Elijah comes before the DOTL as regards Israel.
3. The sudden destruction strikes all the earth but Israel in the form of the Seals. Gentiles enter DOTL.
4. Israel rejects the efforts of the Elijah to get them to turn to Christ.
5. God sends a curse on Israel, the DOTL.
6. The DOTL contains the AC invasion at the Mid for Israel.
7. The DOTL curse contains the events described in the Trumpets and Bowls.
8. The DOTL curse ends with the Second Coming where Israel accepts Christ and he comes as their savior and king at the Battle of Armageddon.
9. The DOTL continues through the MK where Christ rules the world with an iron scepter.
10. The DOTL ends with the destruction of the Heavens and the earth at the end of time.

Last edited: