• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Three Curtains

CoreIssue,

re: "The way you are pushing it strongly suggests you would try to tie the answer you are fishing for into an issue you have posted on in another thread"

I'm at a total loss as to the issue or the other thread to which you are referring. I wonder if you might explain?

CoreIssue,
re: "On the RCC."

To what issue and under what post of the RCC do you think I'm trying to use answers from the three curtains problem ?

You are a contestant on a game show. There are three curtains. Behind one of the curtains is a new car. You are asked to choose one of the curtains. Lets say that you choose curtain #1. The host of the show - who knows where the car is so as not to end the game prematurely - opens curtain #3 and of course there is no car behind it. The host now gives you a choice. You can stay with curtain #1 or you can change your choice to curtain #2. The question now is: would it be to your advantage to stay with curtain #1, or would it be to your advantage to change to curtain #2 or would there be no advantage either way?

Why second guess? Barring something more substantial than the host of the show simply asking me if I want to change my mind or not, I would stay with my original decision -> curtain #1.

What's your reasoning for doing that?

You are a contestant on a game show. There are three curtains. Behind one of the curtains is a new car. You are asked to choose one of the curtains. Lets say that you choose curtain #1. The host of the show - who knows where the car is so as not to end the game prematurely - opens curtain #3 and of course there is no car behind it. The host now gives you a choice. You can stay with curtain #1 or you can change your choice to curtain #2. The question now is: would it be to your advantage to stay with curtain #1, or would it be to your advantage to change to curtain #2 or would there be no advantage either way?

Why second guess? Barring something more substantial than the host of the show simply asking me if I want to change my mind or not, I would stay with my original decision -> curtain #1.

What's your reasoning for doing that?

Second guessing is symptomatic of an unstable mind.

Why do you think that switching wouldn't be to your advantage?

What reason is there for me to think switching would be to my advantage?
What would you do if after your initial pick of curtain #1, and before any curtain was opened, the host told you that you could change your pick from curtain #1 to BOTH curtains #2 and #3?

Last edited:
Back