• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

the word

To give a quick answer, the word "word": does not must mean a group of letters put together. It means:
The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number: 3056 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
logoß from (3004)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Logos 4:69,505
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
log'-os Noun Masculine
Definition
  1. of speech
    1. a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea
    2. what someone has said
      1. a word
      2. the sayings of God
      3. decree, mandate or order
      4. of the moral precepts given by God
      5. Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets
      6. what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim
    3. discourse
      1. the act of speaking, speech
      2. the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking
      3. a kind or style of speaking
      4. a continuous speaking discourse - instruction
    4. doctrine, teaching
    5. anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative
    6. matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter in dispute, case, suit at law
    7. the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed
  2. its use as respect to the MIND alone
    1. reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating
    2. account, i.e. regard, consideration
    3. account, i.e. reckoning, score
    4. account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment
    5. relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation
      1. reason would
    6. reason, cause, ground
  3. In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.
A Greek philosopher named Heraclitus first used the term Logos around600 B.C. to designate the divine reason or plan which coordinates achanging universe. This word was well suited to John's purpose inJohn 1.
Logos is the Greek word that transcends the most basic meaning a being just a "word."

In the past a TV program covered this issue in great detail. A extremely knowledgeable and skilled linguist gave a very clear descriptive I have never forgotten.

He said it means in the infinite past and before time began the Second Person of the Trinity became the purpose, reason and dynamic reality of the Plan for all that was to come.

We know that while the Trinity the unity of three as God. But, that each took on distinct roles with their Plan.

It is a powerful beyond our comprehension declaration that the Second Person taking on flesh was a critical and pivotal point in the history of Man and God's Plan.

Satan had tried to stop it by perverting Adam and Eve, killing Jesus at birth, tempting him to divert from the plan to take control of the earth back then, exterminating Israel and the Jews many times and more.

He will again try to eliminate Israel in the Trib.

As well, Satan has tried to exterminate the Church or pervert it away from Christ. The existence of the RCC and other cults have done a lot of damage, but the Church persists.

I hope that helps a little.

Back