• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Rom 9:13-16

clark thompson

Advanced Poster
Romans 9:13-16
KJV(i)13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. 14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
JuliaSmith(i)13 As has been written, Jacob have I loved, and Esau have I hated. 14 What then shall we say Is injustice with God? It may not be. 15 I will commiserate whomsoever I commiserate, and I will have compassion upon whomsoever I have compassion. 16 Surely then, not of him Willing, nor of him running, but of God commiserating.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

13 God is love because of this God can not hate but here what it is saying is compared to the love God had for Jacob He hated Esau. I is the same when Jesus said “If you do not hate your father and mother, you not serve me” Jesus was not saying we are to show hate to our parents because thebible teaches we should honor them but, what Jesus is saying is compared to the love and obedience we show Him it should be so different than the way we react to our parents that it is as love hate or opposites. The bible teaches we are to love and that God loves and this verse is not undoing all this truth.

14 God is righteous and all the righteous are of God. The only we can be righteous is by receiving the Lord’s forgiveness and accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

15 Not all will receive mercy from the Lord some will and will be spared from the hell we all disserve and others will receive His mercy and grace and be blessed by being able to walk on the streets of gold.

16 God has chosen each believer to show mercy on and give grace thru them receiving their own salvation. God chose to set the believers apart from the world to be a part of Him.

Sorry, but I have to differ here. God can and does hate. In example:
Proverbs 6:16-19
New International Version (NIV)

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.
Hosea 9:15
New International Version (NIV)

15 “Because of all their wickedness in Gilgal,
I hated them there.
Because of their sinful deeds,
I will drive them out of my house.
I will no longer love them;
all their leaders are rebellious.
I understand one could argue verses 16-18 could be argued as attributes, not the person. But verses 19 and 15 are people, not attributes.

All the emotions, etc, we possess so does God. We are, after all, created in his image. He has freewill just as we do.

Thankfully, though, he does not fail or exercise it in an unjust way.

Back