• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

How to Read and Interpret the Bible

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
These questions tie in with, "Questions on God, Consequences, Beliefs and Avoiding the Questions."

The answers given were sincere. But, there was a lot of disagreement between them in what was claimed.

That brings me to the next question. Should the Bible be read by rules of language, meanings per the Greek and Aramaic original writings, rules of grammar and the other rules taught by linguists of all languages? Or, does the Bible have different rules to follow? Or, are we to wait for spiritual revelation of the meanings if we are determined to be worthy of receiving them?

Not trying to be funny or sarcastic here. I have heard all the above claimed. In fact, they all in the answers to the thread in paragraph one.

If anything but the first parameters, then how are we to know what we think is from God and not from a demon or our own desires?

What say you?

CoreIssue

It seems to me that since the Bible is a book and books are filled with words structured in such a way as to communicate something that we would use methods of reading and comprehension to understand it.

I don't see why the Bible would be read any differently than any other book, letter or article we read.

I agree with CTZonEdit. The Bible in all it's versions, seems blatantly clear to me. People seem to argue that one needs to know Arabic, Greek or some other foreign language to read and understand the Bible. But I've picked up a Hebrew/Arabic dictionary, and it's all a bunch of scribble to me. While it would be fun to learn another language on top of the English/Spanish I already do know, I don't have the time to do so. Besides, the Holy Spirit is bilingual...

Even when reading a letter or news article when we come across a term we don't understand we can research it using dictionaries or other linguistic tools.

It also helps to research historical context to understand what was going on at the time something was written.

For instance to better understand a WWII article it may help to find out what the world was like then and not assuming that things back then happened the same way they do today.

So it helps to know what was going on in the Ancient Near East during biblical times to understand the context something was written. Customs, laws, rules, societies, etc were completely different.

The message of God, contained within the Bible, is so simply that every child can understand it.
Matthew 19:14
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

God holds all accountable Romans 1
20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

God also speaks to hearts who seek Him. He can do that for anyone who has never seen a Bible or if they have a Bible, they don't need other humans to help interpret what it says - God is perfectly capable and better able to do so.

Romans 2
14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

John 10:27
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

So then, the question arises, how does one know that it is God leading them and not their own mind.

The same question can be asked of those claiming the right to lead and teach.

There are no human dictionaries or reason of man that can be as perfect as the creator speaking to the heart of one who wants to know Him.

We all reach a point where we hear that still small voice and make a choice to ignore it and embrace the teachings of men or to listen and learn to trust Him.

Testing: Is what one listens to something that will glorify God, does it point to the cross instead of works of men, is it rooted in perfect love and perfect justice.

If the answer is no to any of those then it is not of God.

If I am going to trust Him with my eternal destiny then I am going to trust that He can lead me as the perfect shepherd does, and teach me all I need to know about Him and how to please Him.

I agree that it is not primarily a matter of intellectual strength discerning 'the letter' but the life which comes from God. 'So that even a child need not err'

God being omniscient and omnipotent (meaning He never has a new thought) has His word exactly as we should have it.

To discern between God's leading and otherwise is that God's leading always lines up with His word.
I think that if we have a desire and it lines up with God's word then 'lets go for it'. If our motives and objectives are right and God wants to turn us in a different direction - He knows how to do it.
If we had a itemized road map then it would no longer be a walk by faith.

Back