• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Where was Jesus for the three days

Jennifer Rogers

There are a number of views given such as:

One popular view (first view) is that Jesus went to hell during the three-day period His body was sealed in the tomb. This is based on the following scriptures:
1.“He was not left in hell (Hades, Hell) – this is explained as He entered and then came out, and His flesh saw no corruption.” (Acts 2:31), however, He was resurrected afterward.
2. Peter said that Jesus preached to “souls in prison.” (1 Pet. 3:19). This verse is inferred that He went to hell to preach.
3. The apostle Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:8-9, “Therefore it is written:
He ascended to a high place, leading many captives, And give graces to mankind.
Now, what do the words "He ascended" mean, did not He also descend into the lowlands of the earth?" At that time some believers believed that Jesus brought all the souls of the dead believers from their place in the Sheol (taken from "Sheol" and attributed to the meaning of hell) and brought them to heaven with Him because they had to wait for His death and resurrection before they could enter heaven. “But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who sleep.” (1 Cor 15:20)
4. The Apostles' Creed declares that: Jesus has come down to the grave. Fruits of the spirit wall art
5. Some believers hold that no one can enter heaven until Jesus died, resurrected, and ascended to heaven (1 Cor. 15:20; John 14:3)
6. The Word-Faith movement added unorthodox teaching to this view. They claim that Jesus defeated Satan in hell, and then He was born again.
Many Bible scholars believe that when Jesus died on the cross, His spirit ascended to heaven to be with the Father for three days before His resurrection and return to earth ( second point of view). This group is based on the following scriptures:
1. “Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Father, into your hands I leave my spirit! As soon as he finished speaking, he stopped breathing." (Luke 23:36). Thus the soul of Jesus returned to the Father after His death on the cross.
2. Jesus said to the robber as He was hung on the cross, “Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” ) either translates as the garden of joy or translates as heaven (Luke 23:43). This is explained as Jesus went to heaven (Paradise) after He died on the cross. They also interpret Paradise here as the third heaven when compared with Paul's words: “I know a man in Christ who, fourteen years ago, was taken up to the third heavens. (either in the body or out of the body, I don't know, God knows).” (2 Cor. 12:2)
3. In the Old Testament Enoch was taken to heaven and did not have to experience death (Genesis 5:4; Heb. 11:5).
4. Elijah was also taken to heaven like Enoch (2 Kings 2:1).
When we look at the first point of view, we can see:
1. “The lower regions of the earth” (Ephesians 4:9) do not refer to hell (as opposed to below earth in Philippians 2:10) but to the tomb where Jesus' body is located. sealed.
2. The apostles' creed was not written with the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. The first version of this article does not include the phrase “He descended into the underworld….”
3. The word hell is not an accurate translation of the word “grave” used in Psalm 16:10-11 and Acts 2:31. We also refer to the EHV English Bible.

“Because God will not leave my soul in the grave (Vietnamese version translated as Hades)
Nor do you let God's holy people see corruption." (Ps. 16:10)
“He was not left in the grave (the Vietnamese version of the KT translated this place as Hades), and His flesh did not see corruption.” (Acts 2:31)
“he saw what was coming and spoke about the resurrection of Christ, saying that he was neither abandoned to the grave nor did his flesh see decay.” (Acts 2:31 EHV)
Peter used this verse to announce Christ's resurrection from the Sheol, not to say that the Lord's spirit had gone to hell.
4. When Paul wrote, “Therefore it is written, He ascended to a high place, and led many captives,” (Ephesians 4:8), he may not have meant bringing up souls. to heaven because believers are not exiles. The apostle was referring to Christ defeating the devil (Read Colossians 2 and Hebrews 2) and proclaiming His victory over hostile forces through resurrection power. Jesus and lion canvas
5. Jesus defeated Satan through death (Heb. 2:14) and through resurrection (Romans 4:25) rather than defeating Satan in hell. Before the hour of his crucifixion, Jesus said, “Now is the judgment of this world, and now the rulers of this world must be cast out.” (John 12:31). And then when He was hung on the cross He announced, "It is finished." (John 19:30; Heb. 1:3)
6. “But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who sleep.” (1 Cor. 15:20). This means that no one can take a resurrected body and go to heaven until Christ is resurrected. But this does not mean that the spirit of man cannot enter heaven before the resurrection of Christ. After all, Christ is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world (Rev. 13:8; Ephesians 1:4). In God's plan salvation is an event that was accomplished even before Jesus had to die, because "God knows the end from the beginning." (Isaiah 46:10)
7. Peter writes that Jesus preaching to imprisoned souls does not mean that this preaching occurred between the death and resurrection of the Lord. The context of the verse is, “And Christ also died for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, to lead us unto God; in the flesh, He died, but in the spirit He was resurrected. It was by the same soul that he went and preached to the souls in prison, the former rebellious, about the days of Noah…” (1 Peter 3:18-20). The text here makes it clear that after He was "resurrected" (resurrected), He preached to "the souls in prison, the former rebellious." When Peter wrote these words he was probably referring to Jesus' victory over demonic powers (Ephesians 4:8; Colossians 2:15).

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member

Acts 2:31

New International Version

31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay.

“today, you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43)

Also remember the rich man after death. The rich man was in hell and the poor man in Abraham's bosom, paradise.

The fallen angels and the Old Testament lost went to hell. The saints went to paradise.

Upon resurrection Jesus led the saints to heaven after preaching the gospel to them. There are two chambers off of the bottomless pit, paradise and hell.

Matthias

Advanced Poster
Jesus said / prophesied that he would be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Matthew 12:40), which I take to mean that he would be in the tomb / grave during that time frame.