• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

When it comes to self-control, what does the Bible say?

Jennifer Rogers

El domain is the ability to manage ourselves and our emotions rather of having them control us, robbing us of the freedom to select how we want to feel in each moment. our life's carvings … We can define feeling as a physical reaction to a thought.

What does self-control entail?
A person with self-control does not act rashly. Instead, he kept his words and deeds in check so as not to offend God.
Jesus demonstrated what self-control entails. "When he was insulted, he did not insult back," the Bible states. When he was in pain, he did not threaten but instead surrendered to the just judge" (1 Peter 2:23). Despite his opponents' mocking, Jesus maintained self-control while he was hung on a torture stake (Matthew 27:39-44). He had previously shown amazing self-control when leaders attempted to trap him in a speech. When angry Jews stoned Jesus, he set an excellent example. He "walked away and left the temple" instead of retaliating against them. -Luke 8:57-59.
Can we follow in Jesus' footsteps? To some extent, we can mimic him. "Christ suffered for you and provided an example, that you should follow closely in his footsteps," wrote the apostle Peter (1 Peter 2:21). Despite our flaws, we can learn a lot from his example. What is the significance of this?

Why is self-control so important?
We must exercise self-control in order to obtain Jehovah's approval. Even if we have dutifully served Jehovah for many years, we might still lose his friendship if we do not exercise control over our words and deeds.
Consider Moses, who was once described as "the humblest of all who lived on earth" (Numbers 12:3). Moses lost control after years of patiently listening to Israel's complaints. When they complained about the lack of drinking water again, he became enraged. "Listen, you rebels!" he growled to the crowd. "Are you requesting that we make water flow from this cliff for you?" 20:2-11. -Numbers
Moses couldn't keep his cool. He did not give credit to Jehovah, the miraculous maker. (Psalm 106:32–33.) As a result, he refused to let him into the Promised Land (Numbers 20:12). Moses must have regretted his lack of self-control from then until his death. Deuteronomy 3:12–27
What is the takeaway? Even if we have been following the truth for many years, we should never speak disrespectfully to someone who offends us or needs advice (Ephesians 4:23; Corinthians 3:12). Perhaps as we grow older, we become more impatient. But consider Moses' situation. We never want to harm our name by losing control for a short period of time what can we do to foster this crucial trait?
How do you develop self-control?
- Requesting the Holy Spirit: Because self-control is a fruit of the spirit, and Jehovah grants his spirit to those who pray for it. He can provide us with the power we require through his holy spirit. He can also assist us in cultivating other kinds of spiritual fruitage, such as love, which provides us with self-control. 13:5-1 Corinthians
- Anything that makes self-control difficult should be avoided: For example, we must avoid the internet and entertainment that contains incorrect information. In fact, we must avoid any negative situations (Proverbs 22:3; 1 Corinthians 6:12). A person who is aware that he or she is often tempted by filthy things, for example, should generally avoid romantic literature and films.
This suggestion may be tough to implement. However, if we give it our all, Jehovah will provide us with the strength we need to acquire self-control. (See 2 Peter 1:5-8.) He will assist us in exercising control over our ideas, words, and actions. Brother Paul and Brother Marco, as previously noted, have learnt to control their violent tempers and even argue with other drivers. What did you do to maintain your self-control? "Every day, I pray fervently," he stated. I researched self-control materials and learned beneficial passages. Despite my many years of self-control attempts, I tell myself every morning when I wake up that I must strive to keep calm throughout the day.And I left the house earlier so I wouldn't be in a hurry."
If you are unable to exercise self-control
We all lose control at times. When this happens, we may be so ashamed that we refuse to pray to Jehovah. However, now is the moment to seek his assistance. As a result, immediately pray to Jehovah. Ask for his forgiveness, assistance, and a promise not to do it again. (See Psalm 51:9-11) Our heartfelt prayers are never overlooked by Jehovah. 102:17 (Psalm). The blood of the Son of God, according to the apostle John, "cleanses us from all sin" (1 John 1:7; 2:1; Psalm 86:5). Remember that Jehovah tells his earthly servants to generously forgive us. -Matthew 18:21, 22; 3:13.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Also remember:

Jennifer Rogers

Also remember:

Thank you !