• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

What does the Bible say about optimism?

Jennifer Rogers

Ruth 1:19-22
“I went out full, but Jehovah brought me back empty-handed. The Lord has afflicted me, and the Almighty has afflicted me, so why call me Naomi?" (verse 21).
Reflection Question: How did the people of God in Bethlehem react when they saw Naomi return to her homeland? Why did Naomi answer everyone bitterly? How do we stay optimistic in life? fruits of the spirit wall art

Leaving the land of Moab filled with painful memories, Naomi and Ruth packed up and returned to Bethlehem, starting a whole new life. When Naomi returned, everyone in the city was moved and ran to ask. However, because Naomi's appearance changed so much, they were not sure if it was her. This change is not necessarily due to age, but mainly from the bitterness in her soul and a decline in health. It hurts when she assures everyone that there is only bitterness in her now and that she thinks it comes from the Almighty (verse 20-21).
Bitterness was a worm that gnawed at Naomi's soul, causing her over and over again to refer to God as someone who could only judge and bring disaster to her. Meanwhile, she did not realize that God still protecting her life in the land of idolatry was the great mercy He had for her. She also did not see God allowing her to return to her homeland as a fresh start and a new good chapter in her life. Because then, she will be able to worship God, live happily with her compatriots, and be somewhat relieved of her loss. Nor did she know that she was about to become a historical figure in the story being written by almighty God. So, Naomi's bitterness about God is the result of her decision to choose to live a pessimistic life, instead of choosing to be optimistic and trusting in Him.
Each of us has different joys and sorrows in our life following God. But not everyone can choose an optimistic attitude and trust God after life's events. Our lives will be different if we choose a positive attitude and firmly believe that God is in control of everything. No matter what excruciating pain we are going through, it is in His control and permission. That is why the Apostle Paul admonished Christians that in everything, give thanks to God (1 Thessalonians 5:18a). Do not interpret and understand God in a limited human way, but ask God for us to always firmly believe in the almighty God to stay optimistic in the face of all life's challenges.
Are you always optimistic in all circumstances of life? Jesus and lion canvas
Lord, sometimes traumatic experiences in life make me doubt and blame You. Help me to overcome my emotions, choose to be optimistic, and trust in You.