• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

The Meaning and Role of Prayer in Christianity

Jennifer Rogers

For us Christians, prayer is the best way to communicate with God. Prayer is the vehicle for day-to-day conversation with our creation. So to understand clearly the meaning and role of prayer for Christianity. Let's find out with me through this article.

Daily prayer gives us the opportunity to share all aspects of our lives with God. Life completely changes every day. Practically anything can go from good to bad or worse in a very short time. God calls us to bring our listeners to be dealt with and issued. He also calls us to share our joys and victories with Him. Indeed, Jeremiah 33:3 says: “Call to me, and I will answer; I will be you for the big up and hard, are one of you never known.” God wants us to say our request so that we can speak our request. And finally, James 4:8 tells us, “Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you.” God always wants us to draw close to Him.
Daily prayer gives us an opportunity to express gratitude for what we provide in our lives. It is no secret that we must thank God for all that He provides and all those who do for us. His kindness and benevolence towards us should be acknowledged day by day. In I Chronicles 16:34, we are to “give thanks unto the Lord, for he is gracious; mercy has passed away.” The psalmist of Psalm 9:1 writes, “I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart, revealing his wondrous works.” We pray each day to recognize the trust and preparation of service in our daily lives.
Daily requests set up a platform to acknowledge our error and ask for help to overcome it. Let's face it, we sin every day whether we know it or not. So, as followers of Jesus Christ, what must we do? The Bible is just very clear: “I have confessed to the Lord, not lying to me; I say: I will confess my domains to the LORD” (Psalm 32:5). Tell God what you really know and so on every day. Asking each day is a place for us to remove our burdens from our influences so that we are weakened. Therefore, Christians often turn around and do not admit fault that will get in the way of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, until we voluntarily refuse and ask for the second thing in prayer. An important prefix on the day of prayer is to ask God to give you the strength to accept your mistakes. Only God can help us turn around from sin and for that, He needs to listen to our requests to eat and drink.
"You pray and you don't receive it, because you pray with the wrong motive." (James 4:3)
Why did Jesus pray? If He is equal to God, what need is there to pray? Did He say that He and the Father are one?
When Jesus chose the way of the cross, being born as a human, He temporarily gave up glory and power and became empty to live a life like ours.
He prayed for the same reason we do: to connect with Heavenly Father and seek guidance in the next step. Yet many times in prayer, we often ask God to approve our will instead of going with His will. It is wrong to pray like that. Jesus always prayed according to God's will, even if it meant dying.
One theologian wrote, “Prayer is surrendering to the will of God and cooperating with it.” If I cast an anchor from a boat to dock and pull, will I pull the shore toward me, or do I drag myself to the shore? Prayer is not drawing God toward me, but drawing myself straight to His will.
Throw out the anchor of prayer, but remember to let that anchor draw you to the heart of God.
I pray to know God's will, let Him guide my life, and put my needs before Him.
Finally, prayer is something that we should do every day. However, for many Christians, humping in daily prayer can be a challenge. For those who have been walking with the Lord for many years, daily prayer can become stale and lack the necessary faith or reverence. Whether a person is new to God or a longtime believer, prayer is always considered the best way to converse with God. Imagine, we are not talking to a loved one or a close friend. How long will the relationship last? Daily prayer to God is establishing a daily relationship with our Father in heaven. It is truly amazing that God wants to have fellowship with us. Indeed, the psalmist asked himself: “What is man, that God remembers him? What is the son of man, that you visit him?" (Psalm 8:4). Daily prayer is a beautiful way to understand this wonderful truth, and it is such a wonderful privilege that God has for us.