• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

James 4:5?

RazorbackJames

James 4:5
Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

I have readed many commentaries on what passage of Scripture this is speaking about. The 2 most prominent are passages from Genesis 6-8 and pretty much the entire OT. Does anyone have thoughts or knowledge on rather there is a more specific passage that James is quoting? Also is this speaking of man‘s spirit or the Holy Ghost?

Thanks in advance for any input.

XRose

Getting Started
restriced access
James 4:5
Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy?

I have readed many commentaries on what passage of Scripture this is speaking about. The 2 most prominent are passages from Genesis 6-8 and pretty much the entire OT. Does anyone have thoughts or knowledge on rather there is a more specific passage that James is quoting? Also is this speaking of man‘s spirit or the Holy Ghost?

Thanks in advance for any input.
4;5 repeats what GOD said at Genesis 6:5
5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

RazorbackJames

Thank you, while describing being sealed by the Holy Spirit yesterday I notice Galatians 5:16-17 repeat a very similar view also. But appreciate your point of view and think you are spot on especially since this is pretty much what my Complete Jewish Bible states.

XRose

Getting Started
restriced access
Thank you, while describing being sealed by the Holy Spirit yesterday I notice Galatians 5:16-17 repeat a very similar view also. But appreciate your point of view and think you are spot on especially since this is pretty much what my Complete Jewish Bible states.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a Jewish Bible!
I'll have to look at one.