• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

1 John 5:16-17

clark thompson

Advanced Poster
1 John 5:16-17
KJV 16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
MKJV 16 If anyone sees his brother sin a sin not to death, he shall ask, and He shall give him life for those that do not sin to death. There is a sin to death; I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not to death.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

16 The sin leading not to death isn’t clear what it is or what they are but perhaps it’s willing seeking sin and not truly turning from it to Christ. There comes a point where we have to step back and let Jesus simply deal with the people because nothing we do helps, it may be at this point or at this sin. John also isn’t saying don’t pray for or help them but saying that they don’t have to if they are in this sin.

17 John addresses that there are different levels of sins in this verse. Sin is all against God’s will but there is a level that leads to death, he may be talking about walking away from the faith. There may have been those that came into the church only to betray the people, this could be the sin.