1. We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.
    Dismiss Notice

What does the bible say about death penilty

Discussion in 'Start Here! Really!' started by John logan, Jun 8, 2016.

1. John logan

John logan Getting Started

I believe I read once that if no man be safe if a person be released to slay him to his judgement

2. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

3. John logan

I think I read this in the bible but can't find it. I think it said that if a man was so dangerous that if he was let out of prison he would likely kill again that we should kill him to his judgement that at his death God would deal with him.

4. CoreIssue

Actually, the Bible says a murderer is to be put to death. No qualification on whether he would kill again or not.

Just remember, self defenses, killing in war, as a policeman in the line of duty, etc. is not murder. Murder is the unjustified taking of a life.

5. John logan

Yes I think I believe we can forgive with a prison sentence crimes of passion unlikely to be repeated etc but when a person kill with premature planning or viciousness multiple killings the death sentence is our best recourse

6. CoreIssue

That is not what the Bible says. Murder is murder. Period.

7. CTZonEdit

CTZonEdit Site Administrator Staff Member

Many say that Jesus would forgive and we should follow Jesus and forgive. That Jesus did away with all that OT law.

Problem is that I don't see that in the bible anywhere.

When you don't have a death penalty then you have what we have today. Prisons and jails full of criminals who are unafraid of a justice system that is weak and ineffective.

8. roman8

roman8 Advanced Poster

Im not sure I agree. We were having this discussion the other day. Death penalty is not a new testament doctrine. Under the old covenant the death penalty was for many acts of disobedience to the law. Adultery, homosexuals, repeated disobedience to parents, sabbath breaking. If the death penalty was Instituted according to the OT law today, then most of us would be dead. What about abortion? God showed mercy to David for 2 acts that by law required death, his actions were not without punishment though. Barrabas I believe is n example of great mercy by the Lord, a murder and thief set free andvthe Lord took his place. The woman caught in the act of Adultery ( and I do believe that is an inspired part of scripture, I know there is new belief that it is not) .

I believe the Lord would have us not take life, but give space to repent. Im not saying they shouldn't be separated from society, thats needed, locked up permanently if needed. But the Gospel needs to be presented to them , which im not so sure is allowed anymore.

9. John logan

I view murder as a pre planed killing of someone. When someone dies in a fight as less than murder. The ot say no murderer has a place in gods kingdom. I think TVs protrusion of so much killing is less than accurate. God foregave David. Murder used to be considered gastly but now seems trivial. Leaders seem to say a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. They seem to derive power from lawlessness in,a pride of it even.

10. John logan

To be executed in the US tamed 7-14 years that's plenty of time to repent.

11. roman8

roman8 Advanced Poster

So will David , have a place in Gods Kingdom? His murder was planned , premeditated. What about Saul ( Paul) . What about abortion, who is the murderer? The woman or the one who preformed it? Is it God who wants us to continue with the death penalty . Can you show me in the NT , under the new covenant where we are to continue with the death penalty. Don't get me wrong I personally would want certain murderer's, pedophiles put to death, but that is my personal opinion., but what does God require , thats what I would like to know. when the Lord says hating your brother without cause , is murder in the heart , then before God many of us have committed murder before the Lord.

12. John logan

Roman 13,-1-5. Did not Anninas and his wife recieved death for their sin. Romans 12,17-19

13. CoreIssue

I am seeing false arguments here. The question is not where the NT continued the death penalty but where was it ever negated? No where is the answer.

Fact is the NT does state the law will continue until its purpose is fulfilled. So the death penalty was reaffirmed. And not only reaffirmed but expanded in context.

The problem with the arguments here is some are trying to connect earthly consequences and realities to spiritual.

Sure, a murder can repent and enter Heaven. But as regards the earth, they are still subject to death.

Stick with what the Bible says, not how you feel or what you think it should be.

God commanded Israel to even kill babies. At the Second Coming those who take the Mark will be killed without mercy.

So, no, God is still as strict today and tomorrow as he was yesterday. He never changes, we do.

roman8 and CTZonEdit like this.
  14. John logan

I would say murder is a pre planed event. The ot dates if a house is locked for the night and a thief enters and the owner strike him that he died there is no punishment

15. CoreIssue

No where does the Bible state it has to be premeditated. That is a personal opinion.

All it says is murder is the unjustified taking of a life.

16. roman8

roman8 Advanced Poster

[QUOTE="John logan, post: 28952, member: 27apostles Roman 13,-1-5. Did not Anninas and his wife recieved death for their sin. Romans 12,17-19[/QUOTE]
    Yes they did , but God killed them not the apostles

17. roman8

roman8 Advanced Poster

I may be looking at things the wrong way. I do not believe God has changed hi laws, and that his view on murder is any different today than in the OT time, that is not what im saying. Im trying to understand here. If a nation has the death penalty, say a Muslim nation, for adultery or homosexuals, is it for us to kill them or is it Gods job to ultimately judge? Im not trying to be argumentative, trying to understand biblically.

18. CoreIssue

My problem is using the word "us." When a government does capital punishment it is not "us" doing it. It is "them."

Governments are different from the individuals within a nation. They are judged differently.

There are chains of command, so to speak. God - government - us. God - church - man - woman - child. And of course husband - wife - child. Each is has different powers, responsibilities, etc.

The question is how does a nation's laws conform with God's will and authority? If clearly out of step, we should not embrace it but still "render unto Caesar."

The spiritual is up to God and he will either judge sin covered by the blood or Christ or to be punished in the Lake of Fire. That has no bearing on government.

A repentant murder is spiritual forgiven but still subject to the death penalty.

There is also the issue of knowledge of sin required to held responsible for it. Also including no excuse for not knowing it is a sin when one should.

It is not a simple issue, for sure.

The Bible says we do have responsibilities to others. That we are to be beacons of light.

I am seeing far to much darkness.

roman8 likes this.
  19. roman8

roman8 Advanced Poster

Yes alot of darkness for sure. Yes I agree that the people in power wether following Gods law or not are ordained of God. I would never protest against capital punishment. Im trying to understand if capital punishment is something The Lord wants a nation , state whatever to continue practicing. There are so many Christians I feel preach so self righteously about capital punishment, as if they are sooo much more deserving of Gods love than a murderer or whatever sin.

We had this discussion this weekend after the preacher said , very flippantly give them the gospel and then pull the lever. I thought boy David said right when he said " better to fall into the hands of the Lord than into the hands of man, with God there is mercy.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  20. CoreIssue

Simple answer is God still supports capital punishment. Society and nations change but the reasons for it do not.

The more a nation rejects capital punishment the more murders, etc grow.