• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Translation Paradox

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
A legitimate question is why isn't there not a pure, word for word, copy of the Bible today? Why doesn't every language have such a copy?

KJV Only say the KJV is such. And the only such.

But is it? Can there be such in English.

Simple answer is, "No."

How can that be? Linquistics. Pure and simple.

To illustrate, in the Greek Jesus was nailed through the hands. So, word for word accurate translation demands hands.

But that is not accurate in the English! Christ was not nailed through the hands, using the English. He was nailed through the wrist.

Confused? Language does that.

In the Greek the word hand includes the wrist. In the English it does not.

And this happens in a lot of places. One word does not always translate exactly and completely from one language to another regarding meaning. Sometimes it demands more words be added. Sometimes it demands other, less encompassing words be used.

So, God cannot provide a word for word exact Bible in every language, because it would be word for word, but totally alien on meaning for meaning. And meaning is what matters.

Chrystalwuzhere

<b><font color="blue">Smilies Moderator</font></b>
Ya know what, Core, I used to be a KJV-Only believer, but when I sat down and acknowledged the things like what you were saying above, I couldn't dismiss it.

I still love the KJV, but I'm not a KJV only believer any more.

CoreIssue said:
A legitimate question is why isn't there not a pure, word for word, copy of the Bible today? Why doesn't every language have such a copy?

KJV Only say the KJV is such. And the only such.

But is it? Can there be such in English.

Simple answer is, "No."

How can that be? Linquistics. Pure and simple.

To illustrate, in the Greek Jesus was nailed through the hands. So, word for word accurate translation demands hands.

But that is not accurate in the English! Christ was not nailed through the hands, using the English. He was nailed through the wrist.

Confused? Language does that.

In the Greek the word hand includes the wrist. In the English it does not.

And this happens in a lot of places. One word does not always translate exactly and completely from one language to another regarding meaning. Sometimes it demands more words be added. Sometimes it demands other, less encompassing words be used.

So, God cannot provide a word for word exact Bible in every language, because it would be word for word, but totally alien on meaning for meaning. And meaning is what matters.

:nod: :yowza: Core, this post is a "hole in one." An argument of simple, straightforward, and irrefutable logic. Case closed, guys.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
LuckyStrike said:
:nod: :yowza: Core, this post is a "hole in one." An argument of simple, straightforward, and irrefutable logic. Case closed, guys.
Thanks. Simple is often the best.:tiphat:

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Neachley said:
Interesting, but I`ll still stick to my KJB... :)
Your choice.

But keep another version on the side, easy to do with BibleGateway around. And access to an Interlinear.

I recommend that for ANY version one uses as main.;)

Junkers all

This all remind me of the old joke if the kjv was good enpugh for Luther it good enough for me to. And it is a good translation yet can be harder for new generations to use.do to the difference in meanings of some words used.