• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

titus 3:2 question

Jessie

Pro Poster
To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.
(from the KJV)

where it says to not to speak evil of no man is that slander basically making lies etc?

or what? I read the other versions slander is the word they use.

from people over the yrs its not to say anything negative and I just cant see that.
things have to be said from time to time to protect others from another person.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Again, the issue is the archaic KJV read in today's terms.
Titus 3:2New International Version (NIV)
2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
Titus 3:2New American Standard Bible (NASB)
2 to malign no one, A)" data-cr="#cen-NASB-29926A">to be peaceable, B)" data-cr="#cen-NASB-29926B">gentle, C)" data-cr="#cen-NASB-29926C">showing every consideration for all men.
Other parts of the Bible do demand some people be rebuked, cast out, etc.

Key is being just in one's judgments, which is demanded.

Jessie

Pro Poster
I think its such a hard thing because of the culture we live in. the so called christian culture.
most can not handle gentle rebukes and get vindictive.

clark thompson

Advanced Poster
If we rebuke people we should always do this out of love for them and hate for sin because this is how Jesus handle things and we should go by His example.