• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Third Church: Pergamum

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
12 “To the angel of the church in Pergamum write:

These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword. 13 I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, not even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives.

14 Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: There are some among you who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin so that they ate food sacrificed to idols and committed sexual immorality. 15 Likewise, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans. 16 Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

17 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.
Many of the churches were compromising more and more with the Roman Empire, especially the church at Rome.

Emperor Constantine not only legalized Christianity, but made declared it the State Religion.

Contrary to what some think, it did not replace Roman Paganism, but it merged it with paganism.

Even in the early days they would bow to and worship the sun, in example. Definitely not Biblical.

When Emperor Constantine called the Council of Nicea, about 1,800 church leaders were invited, but only about 270 showed.

Still, it was the beginning of consolidation of power into the hands of the few and the establishment of church government not based on the choices of the congregations. As well, replacing Bible study with doctrines created by the governing body. In other words, the Roman Catholic Church ruled from Rome.

For what this all means, prophetically, read about the Four Beasts and Statue in Daniel. Also the Harlot and Beast of Revelation.

For today, Catholicisms is the largest group called Christian in the world, adding in its offshoots, even in the Protestant denominations.

This includes tolerance of homosexuality and other sex sins, even within churches.

Sex sin is no longer a big deal for many.

Last edited: