• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Rise of the Drones

CTZonEdit

Site Administrator
Staff member
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/02/25/drones-fly-paris/23985071/

Noticing this more and more. I don't see any real way to police this situation and it could really spell disaster in future terrorist threats worldwide. Whether you are a careless hobbyist or a sinister anarchist this whole idea and its governance has been poorly thought out.

Personally if I owned property and a high powered air rifle (of which I do not own either) if I did see one of these flying on my property I would shoot it right out of the sky. No questions asked.

That being said if someone creates an army of these things and unleashes them what retaliation would you have?

Even if not deadly you could still do major damage or harm to structures, infrastructures or people with everyday items that are considered "harmless" that these drones are more than capable of carrying around.

Willy

Pro Poster
I guess commercial drones are here as well ...

http://dronelife.com/2015/02/19/do-you-need-drone-insurance/

I really do not like this idea. I see a lot of accidents happening and then they will be banned.

On a larger note, the military is already using drones to take out terrorists and patrol borders etc., so there is a broad base of technology available if you happen to want to build or buy one for private terror applications.

I am sure "someone" would sell you an advanced military drone if you asked around ... :wink1:

Then there are these guys who will sell you devices to thwart drone activity near your property ...

http://www.jammer-store.com/trc-3-universal-remote-control-jammer.html

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
This is such a mixed bag. From one aspect of my history I see incredible uses for emergency services, law enforcement, land management, military applications, etc.

But, from another, I see huge threats to national security, personal safety. privacy, and so on.

I especially see those like Obama using tech like this for social engineering.

These are issues that must be resolved properly. Going to the extreme, either way, is a huge mistake.

CTZonEdit

Site Administrator
Staff member
Whats my greatest concern is that people think that they have a "right" to own these things and fly them wherever they want.
A lot of hobbyist owners are upset that the software in these things will not let them fly into certain restricted areas. As if they have a right to fly it where ever they want to since they paid for it. It's absurd thinking. Even scarier that eventually they will be hacked and modified.

There have already been incidents of these things falling out of the sky over crowds of people and sustaining injuries. TV broadcasters would love to start using these things at major events.

These things are not toys.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Some TV shows are already using them, in example, House Hunters International.

There are regs on how helicopters can be used and where. Helicopters are even more dangerous if abused than drones.

Libertarians are leading the charge demanding unrestricted use. They also do not believe in creators not having a right to make money off of music, movies and other media and software.

While a believe in "only needed" government, I am not a Libertarian because they don't think issues through.

Reasonable controls can be put in place. The bigger concern are drones built from scratch, that have no registration, etc.

As far as homes go, a good shotgun will cure an invasion quickly without the risk of where a bullet will land.

CTZonEdit

Site Administrator
Staff member
I can see where these would be beneficial in police departments, especially chasing criminals. It would reduce the need for a helicopter chase.
All you have to do is tell the drone to follow the suspect or their vehicle.