1. We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.
    Dismiss Notice

My backyard goldfish pond

Discussion in 'Creative, Hobby and Skills Forum' started by Sid, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Sid

Sid Moderator

Tractor Supply sold me this 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for $210 . . . it makes a nifty goldfish pond:

[​IMG]

2. Chrystalwuzhere

Chrystalwuzhere <b><font color="blue">Smilies Moderator</font></b>

How nice, Sid. I hope you won't have a headache keeping the scum and algae down to a minimum.

How many goldfish do you have in it? I can see two, are there more?

3. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Administrator Staff Member

Really nice, Sid. I like it. :tiphat:

4. Sid

Sid Moderator

There are a total of 15 assorted goldfish:

3 comets, a few Shubunkins, Calico Goldfish, fan tails, common gold fish, along with 4 Plecostomus to keep the tank tidy.

These are old pictures from the fall. . . the pond is currently covered by a makeshift sheet plastic [redneck] greenhouse to keep the fish happy and the plants from freezing. The plants in the picture are now closer to 5 foot high and will need some serious re-potting.

My bride is a plant person and I wanted a few goldfish and the pond is a joint venture.

I am using a submersible pump driving a 1 gallon biological filter 6-8 hours a day to keep the water clean and the fish happy.

The comets started out last spring at about 3 inches, they are now about 8 and I feed them cat chow. . . the fan tails started out about 2 inches have grown to about 3 but still take the goldfish pellet food.

After the last freeze and I take down the plastic covering, I'll post some more pictures. . . goldfish start looking neat at about 12 inches. . . .

5. Sid

Sid Moderator

What the heck, here is a fresh picture:

[​IMG]

They weren't real hungry. . . I usually feed them late in the evening.

6. InTheWind

InTheWind Pro Poster

Very nice Sid. :nod:

7. CoreIssue

I love it.

We thought about something like that when we did our back yard. But just went with a jungle of ferns and granite paths instead. Too hard to keep it clean in the land of mold and mildew.

8. Jessie

Jessie Pro Poster

looks good

9. kay-gee

kay-gee Banned

Way cool. I want one!

all the best...

10. Sid

Sid Moderator

The pond is still going strong, some of the comets are about a foot long now.

. . . have learned a lot about dealing with a backyard pond. . .

In the winter, pond fish don't eat much, and best feed them little protein [ammonia issues] . . . so they do just fine on mostly cheerios.

Anyone who gets the koi bug is just asking for a lot of heartache. . . goldfish are a whole lot easier to keep.

. . . mine have been happy, I have already had a couple batches of babies. . . .

11. CoreIssue

I had forgotten about your pond. Thanks for the reminder. :aah: