• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Martin Luther and the Beginning of Protestantism

Thanks Willy. I just found this book in a Little Free Library called The Bible as History, and the commentary of that strain of scholarship in the library was called The Politicization of the Bible. It talks about some events of that century. It's interesting, you'd assume that the Bible was factual about human and world history as well as spiritual matters if you believed in it, just like you'd assume that it had all the same parts and elements of a piece of literature or even a drama if it was a real narrative story and populated by real characters. Unfortunately, every time some one tries to read it that way a howl is raised. I'm trying to find the origins of some of this stuff.

Don't brush off one of the greatest and most accurate historical works of all time. Merle d'Aubigné writes about the history of two groups, one using The Bible for political gain, the other, persecuted for choosing to follow and listen to only God and not to fallible men claiming to represent God.

:tiphat:

I'm not brushing it off. Much of the Bible is history. Two books each of Kings, Samuel, and Chronicles. And they are too about Israeli politics. People don't realize that because Aristotle only talked about the composition and status of members of the Greek Empire in his book, while the Hebrews also included prophets and their records in his books.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your response. You wanted some reference material so you could learn about Martin Luther and the reformation and I gave you the e-book documenting events leading up to and including Luther and now you are talking about some other topic … ?

:52a:

Well I'm not trying to. It sounds like Luther had a problem with people buying and selling court cases. What a coincidence, so have I. But I'm not sure what Martin Luther meant regarding the Crusades. Because it sounds like, he complained that people who fought in them got the indulgences to have their sins forgiven, which sounds fine to me. If it was just money and he had a problem with Rome and the Bourgias simply because they were crusader states and lead armies, then in that case I'm against him, it's only money and France has had it's own simony problems.

That's not a problem is it, I mean neither does Germany. There was a case like that in France, too, Simony case. I've had that happen to me, and I'm doing some research. It's related to the emergence of protestantism and what that word actually means.

Back