• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

God and Time

CTZonEdit

Site Administrator
Staff member
Is God inside or outside of time?

What is time?

Is God bound to time?

Will God destroy time as we know it in the new heavens?

These questions may hurt your brain...I know they do mine :whacky40:

You do ask the easy ones, don't you? :crazy:

Of course you realize these questions give opinion answers we cannot prove.

I reordered them to fit my answers better.
What is time?
I do not believe time is a thing. I believe it is the perception of change.

By that I mean things age and decay. Our perception of that decline is measured by such as an orbit around the sun, etc. All subjective concepts.

In eternity past and future there was no decay, sun or moon. Thus the perception of eternal now.

But, with that said, things do change in eternity. We don't just do the same things over and over, but nothing ages or dies. It will always be light, etc.
Is God inside or outside of time?
Since it is a perception, not a thing, it really is a moot question.
Is God bound to time?
God does not decay, etc. But, again, since time is a perception, a moot question.
Will God destroy time as we know it in the new heavens?
Difficult question. Death and decay will be thrown into the Lake of Fire, so our perceptions will change. So, I guess you could say our perception of what we call time will be destroyed.

This is a very subjective question and answer.
These questions may hurt your brain...I know they do mine :whacky40:
Since we are trapped in a reality where all we experience contains death and decay, it is really beyond our ability to truly conceive.

Yep I realize this is all opinion.

I agree that its mostly perception. We cant know what living in an eternal state is like or without the effects of time existing makes it even harder to imagine.

So time is really an effect of sin. So sin was so destructive in the preadamic universe that it altered creation causing time to appear or was time always there at the creation?

Exactly. The effect of sin in this universe.

Remember, in eternity those in the Lake are still sin tainted, but they live forever in resurrected, but not glorified bodies.

The fires are eternal but they never consume what they are burning. That makes it even more complicated and difficult to understand an issue.

Obviously the laws of the universe change in eternity. :blink:

I was just thinking how time bound creatures manage to have a transcendent sense of timelessness. True, we're not able to fully comprehend, but we do apprehend the concept, which I suppose begs the question of whether that which transcends physical reality must originate beyond said reality.

In other words, is the concept of eternity planted in hearts and minds as an incentive to seek God? And if so, could it have been conjured by the imagination of men or would it require a divine spark?

I've often thought of time as a measure of motion. Whether that be expressed as a relative and changing position in solar orbit or more concisely as a frenzy of activity in atomic particles.

In either example accelerated motion is the common denominator, which to my way of thinking nicely reflects the antithesis of eternal peace. As far as we can tell, the physical universe relies on relative motion to maintain its cohesion, but the spiritual plain may well transcend such physical limitations.

In Psalm 46:10: He says, "Be still, and know that I am God..."

Now while this has a direct meaning within the immediate context, 'stillness' is also herein presented as a prerequisite for knowing God. That is, being still and knowing God go hand-in-hand. This being the case, Paul's declaration (in 1Cor. 13:12) that 'then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known' could well be seen as a foreshadowing of the heavenly realm, (ergo - fully still in the sense of no longer subject to corporeal motion), and therein having a full knowledge of God.

Hence if we can make the connection, we arrive at a state of eternal now where time ceases to exist. Admittedly it's a poor explanation, but it's likely among the best I can make in my present condition. :icon wink:

Good observations that tie into my thinking.

In eternity past here were no suns and the planets (a whole other topic) did not revolve around anything, thus no motion to measure or observe. In other words, eternal now.

Same with eternity future, which I believe is a restoration of how things were in Genesis 1:1.

To me, the key remains decay and decline. That only exists from the War in Heaven to to the End of Time. Even in the Lake, where there is eternal fire there and torment, no one burns up and disappears. No decay, just eternal consumption.

I am with you. It is all vague, impossible to comprehend in full, at least now, and our best efforts are guess work.

Back