• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Did God call us to great thing or something more?

Blowing Wind

I think in this day where being great is magnified in the culture and the desire to find greatness in God can sometimes cause us to compromise our relationship with God. Sometimes it can simply be us just wanting to feel important or have an identity, but is there a danger in that. Tell me what you think?
I made this video that touches on the subject. I also added a prophetic word at the end that really gives insight into what we may miss when we are missing being right relationship with God through Jesus in our pursuits for God.

Last edited:

jdyson

restricted access
Did God call us to great thing or something more?

What more can there be than great things?

Blowing Wind

You sound Charismatic.
[/QUOTE
I was introduced into a real sound biblical but Spirit filled church. Most of the believers including the pastors were very genuine and I had good foundation of grace built into my life from that first church I was born again at. That part I had no part in other than God led me there. And there I was given an understanding of grace that helped me be able to overcome sin and mistakes I made that gave me the confidence to correct them never letting go of my relationship to God.
Sometimes it is easy to let go of something if we think we are failures and are receiving the consequences of our sin. It is hard for christian folks to return with the same confidence even with repentance so many don't and over time what once was important and special seems like something you tried but it doesn't work. Never quit and never give up!

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
You sound Charismatic.
[/QUOTE
I was introduced into a real sound biblical but Spirit filled church. Most of the believers including the pastors were very genuine and I had good foundation of grace built into my life from that first church I was born again at. That part I had no part in other than God led me there. And there I was given an understanding of grace that helped me be able to overcome sin and mistakes I made that gave me the confidence to correct them never letting go of my relationship to God.
Sometimes it is easy to let go of something if we think we are failures and are receiving the consequences of our sin. It is hard for christian folks to return with the same confidence even with repentance so many don't and over time what once was important and special seems like something you tried but it doesn't work. Never quit and never give up!
One who is biblically sound is Spirit filled. Pentecostals add things to being Spirit filled men just are not in the Bible.

Blowing Wind

Jesus speaking,
You examine the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is those very Scriptures that testify about Me;

Yes, one can presume they are biblically sound, but that doesn't always mean spirit filled.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Please explain how one can be one without the other? This is an issue I have with Pentecostalism. Instead of teaching individual progression and growth, they teach promotion accompanied by signs. The Bible being very clear while all gifts of the spirit are given by the Holy Spirit, not everyone has the same gift.

Willy

Pro Poster
My best friend leans charismatic. He was saved along with myself and a few others in our party-house, 45 years ago. I usually try and draw him back to being more Cross centered in his conversation and while he is certainly O.K. in that area, he will seek to add "prophesies" which to me is more like "just expounding what is already there," as well as all things charismatic. We talk and debate as friends. Since Covid-19 we talk weekly on the phone for an hour or so once a week.

For both of us, God's Spirit is the evangelical force behind anything God. That includes conviction of sin, all things salvation, as well, He must be given sole control over any gatherings. The Word of God is His Sword. It is also part of our armor. While my friend is more vocal about what the Spirit is doing, I am more centered on what The Lord Jesus did to redeem us. While I am certainly aware of The Spirit's role I tend to expect God's Spirit to be in the background, not drawing attention to Himself but pointing to Jesus.

the friendly debate continues ...

:nod:

Blowing Wind

I think this is a journey. And so, many times how you start it and what you learn becomes your proverbial compass so it sometimes hard to see how someone would walk without using our compass. If you are a believer then you know it is the Holy Spirit that leads you in following Jesus Christ. What one might see and understand in the process of following Jesus is how they read that compass. It becomes useful then to themselves in helping guide them and in helping them lead others to the Lord as long as a person realizes it is not a replacement for the Sprit or Jesus's lordship.

I will be putting more of my writings into audio in the future. It will give some insight that was helpful to me anyways of how we all use different compasses. Hopefully, the direction we are heading is to one God, one lord, one unity of faith. It is just until Jesus returns all we have is these compasses to help us as we continue on. The Lord gave us the map but we dispute how to read it, lol.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
The Old Testament prophets and the New Testament apostles gave us revelation, guidance and teachings. They put those in the Bible, which was completed by John in the book of Revelation. There will be no more until the second coming.

The Holy Spirit guides us in our learning and life and sometimes gives individuals special revelation for their lives, but not on the scale as given by the prophets and apostles.We are given time frames for prophetic events but not an actual time.

The Holy Spirit gives some gifts of the spirit, but not the same gift to everyone, and nothing that constitutes non-biblical revelation and teachings.

When one is born again, it is by the baptism of the Holy Spirit and then growth is called sanctification.