1. We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.
    Dismiss Notice

Denominations

Discussion in 'Christian Denominations' started by 2404, Nov 3, 2014.

1. jeager106

jeager106 Getting Started

O.K. Re: Denominations of Christianity.
    Estimates are 35,000 to 40,000 different denominations of members claiming to be
    Christians.
    http://blogforthelordjesuscurrentevents.com/2012/03/29/how-many-christian-denominations-are-there/

Some denominations are outright on the "fringe" of Bible verses and information.
    Like the Westboro Baptists that march holding signs saying "God Hates Fags".
    Then there are the fundamentalists that pass around a basket of live rattlesnakes so
    church members can "play" with a pit viper and "prove" faith.
    If bitten the victim refuses medical treatment. If the victim lived then "god" saved the victim.
    If the victim dies, then "god" took the victim to heaven.
    When they "win", they "loose".
    So in the muddle of denominations ALL reading essentially the SAME book, how does one
    begin to know which is the "right" denomination or if there even is one.
    Ask a Jehovah's Witness and get hours of sermons on how the Jehovah's Witnesses are
    the one and only true denomination; actually to the point that J.W.'s call their faith
    "The Truth" or they are "in The Truth."
    I have relatives that are J.W.'s and love them dearly. The tolerate me only because I tolerate
    them. I was dunked in a Church of Christ you see therefor on the "outside and part of this world"
    thus condemned.
    I feel awful.

2. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Administrator Staff Member

The world plays game with what it means to be "Christian."

3. jeager106

Yes. Christian means "follower of Christ".

Christian
    (ˈkrɪstʃən)
    n
    1. (Theology)
    a. a person who believes in and follows Jesus Christ

The Westboro Baptists march with signs saying "God hates fags" some Pentecostals play
    with live rattlesnakes, some denominations believe Easter and Christmas are rooted
    in Satan worship and paganism.
    The J.W.'s interpreted their own unique Bible, some gays read the "Queen James Bible".
    and so on.
    A bit confusing what?
    My departed uncle and a fine man, did NOT celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday
    but as a National holiday. Fundamentalist church of Christ and a deacon.
    I have rendered all this "religious" dogma down to this.
    I believe in God as Supreme Being, Jesus and His Son as our Redeemer.
    I try not to sin but fall short at times and recognize my shortcomings.
    I pray for knowledge of His will for me and the Power to carry that out.
    I ask for forgiveness for my failings and the Power not to repeat.

4. CoreIssue

The Bible teaches us to study and grow in the Word and to be aware of false teachings. There is a lot out there.

There is no such thing as a Biblical holy day, etc. Thank the RCC for such as Christmas, which was adopted from Pagans.. Christ was not born in December.

5. jeager106

Thank the RCC for x-mas and Easter, both 100% rooted in paganism.
    The early RCC combined pagan symbols to "convert" pagans to the Catholic way of
    worhsip.
    Over time it's the RCC that "lost" it's way.

6. roman8

roman8 Advanced Poster

I do not believe any denomination has it right. Being a christian is to trust and follow Christ. Boy this is a big topic. Its very difficult to find a real christian church now a days.

But that being said, there are some that are out right CULTS. You can identify them by what they or rather who they follow. For instance, Jws , Mormons, seventh day adventists, all have a person that they hold up , someone that had a personal or private revelation, on the surface they may look and sound christian, but when you get into it the Word of God is second to them. Then there are those that use the word to further there own kingdom and push their personal veiws, and you end up with place's like Westboro. Then those that focus on the experience, and you end up with charismatic churches. The best way to avoid a trap of a cult is to read the word of God for yourself, and ask the Lord to open your eyes to the truth. Nothing freaky just a real understanding of it. There will always be disagreements on certain things but not on the things pertaining to salvation, thats the most important issue.

CoreIssue likes this.
  7. jeager106

@roman8

"For instance, Jws , Mormons, seventh day adventists, all have a person that they hold up , someone that had a personal or private revelation, on the surface they may look and sound christian, but when you get into it the Word of God is second to them."

Who is the "person(s)" Jws "hold up"?
    It's been my experience from having some relatives that are Jws they hold NO PERSON "up"
    to anything.
    Explain please. Perhaps I've been duped, taken in, fooled, lied to, chumped, deceived, or
    perhaps "da devil dun it"?:tongueout:

8. jeager106

"group of sincere Bible students was a man named Charles Taze Russell. While Russell took the lead in the Bible education work at that time and was the first editor of The Watchtower, he was not the founder of a new religion."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Taze_Russell

To bet better educated and facts organized see the above link or google tons of information
    available on the World Wide Web.
    It's even free!

9. CoreIssue

The JW was a cult based on the false teachings of Russell.

Nothing sincere or Biblical about them.

jeager106 likes this.
  10. jeager106

Really?
    Explain false teaching please.
    What false teachings?
    I ask because I don't know and like to learn.

11. jeager106

NEVER MIND! I just did a TON of reading on Charles T. Russel and the early "religious" organization
    he implemented.
    Don't people investigate just a bit before jumping into a religion on the fringe?
    "chuckle to myself" "What religion isn't on the fringe a bit?":looney:

I think I'll join the Westboro Baptists and march around with signs damning homosexuals.:whacky40:
    Better still become a fundamentalist Pentecostal and pass around a basket of live
    rattlesnakes to demonstrate my faith in God.
    I knew I should have followed Jim Jones and David Koresh!:scared:
    Yeah. Now there is a denomination that makes perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect sense.:idea:

12. CoreIssue

Have you looked here?

13. jeager106

I'm right and you people are wrong.
    My religion is the one and only true and faithful religion recognized by Jesus.
    Want to know what it is?
    So do I! :tongueout:

40,000 denominations of Christians all READING THE SAME BOOK!

How did that ever happen?
    We have Jehovah's Witnesses that believe they must preach door to door to spread the "good news".
    We have Catholics that believe they can tell some guy what they've done to sin, pay $5 bucks
    and all is forgiven.
    We have Westboro Baptists that preach "God hates F A.......................ah, homosexuals.
    Fundamentalists that pass around baskets of rattlesnakes to demonstrate their faith.
    And more.
    I don't get it.
    I quit a church, a non denominational church, after they had a Christmas play.
    The play was alright but the somehow they found a place to rent real, large, live, camels.
    They led them into the church as part of the play.
    Evidently no one understood one was a female in HEAT and the male wanted some really bad.
    Boy camels have really, really long sex organs. Like two feet or more long! and didn't mind letting
    them hang out either.
    All the kids were asking "why has that camel got a snake mommie?" :wow::scared:Hilarious.

14. Willy

Willy Pro Poster

In the midst of, and in spite of all the man made christian denominations and other religions we dream up, God goes about His business of saving souls and adding those that are savable to His Church (a spiritual entity), by the process He has laid out in His Written Word. That process is not discerned fully until a person is saved, for in reality, God's Word is a closed book, not discernible to the natural mind.

When I was younger, dealing with God with respect to the things in my life that represented sin, and those sins were being made clear and real to me and I was finding myself justly condemned not only in God's eyes but in my own eyes, at that same time, a good friend of mine was taking a course in religious studies at a local university and his class was taking the bible apart trying to come to grips with the meaning of the whole thing.

I remember discussing God and sin (and the outcome for the sinner) with my friend and being amazed that despite God's Word being quite clear on the subject, my friend charged through the subject, brushing over the words like they meant nothing to him. I realized that we were in two different worlds in a sense. He was studying scripture with his intellect, his natural mind, and as such had no power to enter into it and see that what God had written was for him personally. I, on the other hand was being dealt with by God, who was in the process of breaking me, so He could save my soul.

My advice, to anyone, and in agreement with member roman8, is to deal with God as a real entity, ... because He is real and involved in our lives. Deal with Him in prayer (verbal) seeking Him out, challenging Him in sincerity about sin and about His Son Jesus Christ and then be still and wait on Him to answer and reveal.

A tip ... pray to the right God.

I remember the first really clear dealing God had with me on a personal level and it had to do with to whom I was praying. I was made critically aware that I was to be specific and pray to "God, the Creator of heaven and earth, The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."

The god of this world is the devil and those verses affirm it. (we gave him authority in Genesis 3) There is a spiritual battle that goes on for each soul as God battles to break through the spiritual fog that clouds our reason.

God making one to understand about sin and the consequences of sin, and getting one to repent and agree with God with respect to their sin is the first part of how God deals with each of his own and is the precursor to the good news of the Gospel.

:popcorn:

15. jeager106

"Denominations are walls."
    Yes I agree but with at least 33,000 denominations of Christians, what is to be done about it?

The looming, unavoidable, vital, questions are:
    Which denomination is the "right" one?
    IS there a "right" denomination?
    What is/are the wrong denomination(s)?

Those are legitimate questions that scream for answers.
    Anyone here want to give answers a shot?
    I'd be might grateful.
    I won't, but likely could, find Biblical verses against many of today's corrupted denominations.
    I've been to church services of different faiths and almost none encouraged the audience to
    so much as open the Bible.
    The Bible isn't a charm like the "lucky rabbits foot". (which was UNlucky for the rabbit.)
    Just carrying the Book in church does not demonstrate a persons faith.
    The most popular book in the U.S. is the Bible.
    The least read book in the U.S. is the Bible.
    One of my college degrees came from a Presbyterian University.
    Our first "text" book was a N.IV. Bible.
    We wrote many an essay on select chapters.

16. jeager106

@willie

What, which one, is the "right" God?
    Inquiring minds need to know.

(That question is open to anyone. Please feel free to respond. I'd appreciate it.)

17. CoreIssue

The God defined in the Bible.

The Bible says have no divisions. Denominations are decisions so none are the right one.

18. Willy

Willy Pro Poster

Name is Willy,

:smile:

I'll refer you back to post 34 ...

I was made critically aware that I was to be specific and pray to "God, the Creator of heaven and earth, The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."

I think if you address God as "Creator of heaven and earth", you make a destinction that would exclude any Islamic possibility and you would be specific as well as not praying to the devil who is called "the god of this world" ...

Do Muslims refer to their god as "the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob"? I don't really know, although I guess it could be possible.

:popcorn:

19. CoreIssue

20. Willy

Willy Pro Poster

Good find ...

I should have guessed that the name "Jacob" in a title defining the one true God, would not be on a muslim menu.

:thumbup: