• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

bitterness

roman8

Advanced Poster
Can someone post scripture to help deal with bitterness, we are not have any root of it found in us. Im afraid mine has become not a root but a huge weed. Need to deal with this.

roman8

Advanced Poster
I wasn't going to say why I'm bitter but I will give a few details. It started with bitterness towards the Pastor of our church. Im just so tired of the preaching on externals as if that is what makes us holy. Dress a certain way ( dont get me wrong I believe in modesty ) women should dress this way, should wear their hair long, men shouldnt wear shorts, its nakedness, facebook, tithing , praying at an altar. I could go on. The Pastor is Gods man, we need to listen to him, he is our prophet, our priest. There is alot more. I love the people there, but I cant take it anymore. Its not biblical. Im bitter because I have to continue going out of obedience to my husband, who keeps telling me I have a bitter spirit. Now im bitter wuth him, the church and have been getting angry with God . Im in tears most days about this seriously dont know what to do.

CTZonEdit

Site Administrator
Staff member
Ephesians 4 (NIV)
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26 “In your anger do not sin”d]">[d]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

CTZonEdit

Site Administrator
Staff member
This is easier said than done for sure but you have to show your husband that this pastor is preaching another gospel and find another church.
God is God period. Not any man, preacher or prophet.

We know this by holding up what they say, do and preach beside what God says in his word. When the two do not align then you have a problem.

roman8

Advanced Poster
Believe me I have talked to my husband about this , hence why he tells me I haveva bitter spirit. The truth is I do. Up until now I have talked to no one about this but the Lord and my husband, and one very close friend who left this church and not until today did we discuss this deep bitterness I have, I mean its a GIANT.

I would not say they are preaching a different gospel , but they are certainty unbiblical in many of their practices, its deep seeded in them and as far as IFB churches go they are on the more liberal side. But its still too much for me, I wont invite anyone to church for fear of what might be preached. Preach Hell , preach repentance, preach against homosexuality , I have no issues with it, but get off the man made standards . Don't tell me I cant listen to certain music m or go to the movies or use Facebook or That I need to check with the Pastor before I make any big decision. Of course as a woman I cant even question things, I need to ask my husband and if hes not man enough to bring it up then I need to just be quiet about it. SEE im bitter . Until my husband sees whats really going on I need to deal with this. I know the Lord has something to teach me here , but this is rough. CTZ

roman8

Advanced Poster
I guess it comes down to me learning to deal with bitterness, anger and pride. What upsets me most is that im afraid my son is going to become cold hearted and legalistic without really understanding Gods grace and mercy. I also miss so much the close fellowship of other christians and am jealous of those who have that . The only people I know here are those from this church, and I do love them, but there is a coldness about them and looking down on other churches and unbelievers. Wevare not allowed to hold small group bible studies in our homes, he says it causes division and I miss that, that is where I grew the most in the Lord.

Im going to start a new thread to ask some specific questions about the teachings and beliefs. I have to admit I gave spent alot of time flip flopping on agreeing and disagreeing with them. I would agree and then scripture would tell me otherwise. I want to make sure Im rightly dividing the word.

CTZonEdit

Site Administrator
Staff member
Big red flag goes up for me if you are being told you are not allowed to discuss God's word in your own homes. Something is really off with that.
The church I attend supports and promotes home bible studies or small groups. It's for learning and fellowship.

The only reason a man would say that is to stifle his "church" as if he is the ultimate authority on God's word and does not want to be questioned.
To me that sounds very dangerous.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this guy does not sound like God's man, a prophet or priest.

Prophet is a gift. There are no NT priests in churches, as leaders. Most assuredly he is teaching things that are not in the Bible.

Sounds like this guys is taking them down a path away from Christ. That he must be obeyed our you are sinning.

I posted on the other thread.

roman8

Advanced Poster
He really believes he is doing the right thing, he is not doing this with the intent to decieve or turn people to him and away from Christ. It is deep seeded in him , its generational, his father and grandfather were IFB pastors. They teach each other and dont believe in any outside biblical schooling . they have this protectionist way of doing everything. Thats why bible studies outside the church are not allowed, causes division, no outside influence, very cultic , I believe. And yes he believes you are in disobedience if you are not following his direction, since he believes he is called of God to shepherd this flock.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link concerning IFB thinking, in general.

Of course, if this applies to all IFB churches, then it is a denomination, and a dangerous one. If not, then it is generalizations.

I have known Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, etc. believing they are not deceiving, but saving.

What I see, from what has been said, is this is not a healthy church. If they will not accept questions and prove their case from the Bible, it is not a good place to be.

Typical to most like that, coldness, isolationism and feelings of spiritual purity are the result.

So, yes, bitterness, emptiness, frustration, etc. result.