• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Search results

1. J

Ruth on Question on God, Consequences, Beliefs and Avoiding the Questions

That makes no sense. Then why does our inborn sense of justice go against what the bible says? The bible says that God killed innocent children and babies just to punish the Pharaoh, when trying to free the slaves. That goes against all modern sensibilities regarding justice. What about...
  2. J

Absolutely and completely incorrect. Give a single example. I thought so. This is called a closed mind. When you admit that it is impossible even in principle for you to be persuaded by evidence. Sure I have - I'm the complete opposite of you: I've agreed over and over that I'd change my...
  3. J

Yes, because that makes no sense at all. Do you think that would happen with any real judge? If a murderer committed a crime, do you think the murderer should be let free if someone else is willing to do the prison time instead? Do you really want that sort of justice system? Where we can...
  4. J

That's contradictory. If he doesn't punish people for their crimes, then he's not just. As you said, the punishment must fit the crime. Letting people off and giving them no punishment is thus not just.
  5. J

The bible also says that God is merciful. Just and merciful are not compatible. You can't be both.
  6. J

It's an interesting difference between religion and science. No scientist would say what you just said here. I do not rely on faith, but only on evidence. If you provided me evidence that my understanding was wrong, I would change my understanding. This is completely wrong. But are you...
  7. J

Okay, so you believe that God wants us to know him, but he provides us with a fallible book with many inaccuracies? Doesn't that strike you as a little strange? This introduces personal bias - such as confirmation bias. You need objective unbiased evidence. We find something "beautiful" if...
  8. J

First off, you simply not understanding something does not mean that there is a supernatural explanation. Second, we've known the reason for a long time. The mechanical explanation is that in times of danger to ourselves or others, our body is flooded with adrenaline, which dampens our...
  9. J

Plus the many other immoral parts of the bible. God killing 25 million people in the Old Testament. God telling us that it's okay to whip our slaves half to death. God telling us that he'll punish our children if we follow the wrong God. God telling us to stone our children to death if they...
  10. J

The "setting your heart on seeking Him" introduces what scientists call "confirmation bias" and is something that must be avoided. I will go where the evidence leads me. That is the only honest course of action. I will rationally, scientifically and sincerely examine any evidence that you can...
  11. J

I fully agree that a God that creates hell and then condemns people to hell for not worshipping him is an evil God. But you've fallen in the trap that every believer does. You don't like something, so your reread the scripture until you've convinced yourself that the scripture agrees with you...
  12. J

Some people do think critically about their beliefs. They then become atheists. Once you start requiring evidence and reason for your beliefs, you can't remain a Christian.