• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Catholicism and Salvation

I actually pointed out that believing and repenting are both work. Both are mental effort to achieve a result.
Not according to the Bible.

Your misunderstanding and redefinition does not change the fact it is a gift, meaning unearned and unwarranted.

Works
Strong's Number: 2041 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
ergon from a primary (but obsolete) ergo (to work)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Ergon 2:635,251
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
er'-gon Noun Neuter
Definition
  1. business, employment, that which any one is occupied
    1. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking
  2. any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind
  3. an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasized in opposition. to that which is less than work
The Bible says it is not by works. You just admitted you believe it is:
I actually pointed out that believing and repenting are both work. Both are mental effort to achieve a result.
The problem is you lack of understand what the definition says. So you can post all the verse you wish, but when you attach this erroneous usage, it simply says they do not say what you claim.

Since you have now, more than once, admitted you believe works are involved, it is obvious you have a problem with the Bible.

Is the Bible infallible or fallible in your eyes?

I can see that have absolutely no intention of responding to my post and conducting "honest discussion, debate and fellowship" so I shall take Jesus advice in Mark 6:11.

Still dodging. I answered it, including the fact your use of the verses hinge on using your spin on the definitions, not what they actually say.

There is nothing trite in that.

It remains you keep trying to say, where it serves you, that salvation does not include works. But then you define the components of salvation, as in gift, grace, repentance, etc. as works.
You cannot have it both ways. Either works are required or they are not.

By you labeling those things as works you are, in fact, saying they are required.

Now, the simple question I asked and you have not answered, "Do you believe the Bible is infallible?"

If infallible, it says no works. If not, the Bible is totally undependable.

Which is it?

I can see that have absolutely no intention of responding to my post and conducting "honest discussion, debate and fellowship" so I shall take Jesus advice in Mark 6:11.
Mark 6:11New International Version (NIV)
11 And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.”
You were welcomed here, listened to and responded to.

What you actually mean is your claims were not accepted..
21prove all things; hold fast that which is good;
You have been tested and failed, Biblically.

We are also told to correct those in error,. You reject the correction.

The RCC does not believe salvation is by grace alone through faith and repentance in Christ.

Your priests have no power to forgive sins. Penance, purgatory, the Pope, Mary as Queen of Heaven, Saints as appointed by the RCC, salvation flowing through the RCC does not exist in the Bible. And more, does not exist in the Bible and, in fact, is in contradiction.

Sure, you can leave, but you were not banned or asked to leave. You chose to do so of your own freewill.

If you change your mind, we are still here.

Back